The South Korea Thread

Friendly chat, will be moderated if necessary.
kancutlawns

The South Korea Thread

Post by kancutlawns »

Lambrini, as you are the err go to girl for all matters South Korea, I thought I’d open this ‘ere fred so the forumsters could ask anything about the country’s food, culture, fashion, art, industry, constitution, fetishes, footwear, etc which you could answer.

To kick off (nay pun intended), the Real Mallorca midfielder Lee Kang-In is being linked for a move to Aston Villa. He’s a versatile midfielder who can pretty much play all the way across and could be a right sided forward too. He can tuck in just behind Watkins and provide some quality on the right where he could link in well with McGinn and be a hidden weapon. Could give width, pace and creativity which could make him a real asset as the club pushes for the night of the Conference League (don’t laugh).

Now the but. The player is 22 years of age and being a South Korean citizen, he’s eligible for National Service. Word is that he would have to go this Summer which would mean be wouldn’t be able to play football for two years.

With this in mind, should Villa 1. Buy him now and defer the move until he’s 24 by the time he finishes his service 2. Hope that the service is deferred until he’s 26 in which case he could play if and when he joins or 3. Just forget him and go for Guenduzi?

Also, please could you give a steer on the rules governing National Service?

Bear with me. It’s a matter that’s most vexing me.

Cheers in advance.
Last edited by kancutlawns on Thu Apr 20, 2023 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JudgeTedd

Re: The South Korea Thread

Post by JudgeTedd »

Lambrini = The Judith Chalmers of talkForum.
It's not the despair, Laura. I can take the despair. It's the hope I can't stand. ~ Brian Stimpson

POTY winner 2022

GROTY winner 2022

antdad

Post by antdad »

I can't for the life of me get used to Kim Chi, good in a back three apparently.

Any gobby Villa supporter should be suitably encouraged to do the decent thing to keep the family honour.

Sid Pervcat

Post by Sid Pervcat »

Get in the Moon Bin

Basualdo
Winner - POTY 2011!!!!

Post by Basualdo »

JudgeTedd wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 3:12 pm Lambrini = The Judith Chalmers of talkForum.
Nope, that's definitely Lawnsy.
Proud Gammon

RIP Neil Peart 1952-2020.

kancutlawns

Post by kancutlawns »

For those of you waiting for an update on the regs on military service in South Korea, here you are.

According to Korea's Military Service law, He can postpone his military service until the age of 37.

------------

Article 149 (Management of Emigrants, etc.)
(1) In cases where any person liable for military service who has continuously resided abroad or his parents fall under any of the following subparagraphs before he reaches 25 years of age, he shall be deemed to have obtained permission for overseas travel up to 37 years of age: <Amended by Presidential Decree No. 22286, Jul. 21, 2010; Decree No. 23305, Nov. 23, 2011>
1. Where the principal or his parents obtain permanent resident status (excluding conditional permanent resident status) in a foreign country, or he or they obtain indefinite stay status or long-term stay status of not less than five years in a country that does not enforce a permanent resident status system and continuously reside abroad;
2. Where the principal or his parents obtain stay status as special permanent resident or permanent resident in Japan and continuously reside abroad;
3. Where the principal continuously resides together with his parents in a foreign country after he was born in such foreign country and has obtained the foreign country's nationality or citizenship;
4. Where the principal or his parents emigrate to any foreign country in accordance with the Emigration Act and continuously reside abroad;
5. Where the principal departs from the Republic of Korea with his parent who are not a resident employee before his age of 18 and continuously reside

JudgeTedd

Post by JudgeTedd »

kancutlawns wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 5:48 pm For those of you waiting for an update on the regs on military service in South Korea, here you are.
Is there anyone?
It's not the despair, Laura. I can take the despair. It's the hope I can't stand. ~ Brian Stimpson

POTY winner 2022

GROTY winner 2022

lambrini

Post by lambrini »

kancutlawns wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 2:02 pm Lambrini, as you are the err go to girl for all matters South Korea, I thought I’d open this ‘ere fred so the forumsters could ask anything about the country’s food, culture, fashion, art, industry, constitution, fetishes, footwear, etc which you could answer.

To kick off (nay pun intended), the Real Mallorca midfielder Lee Kang-In is being linked for a move to Aston Villa. He’s a versatile midfielder who can pretty much play all the way across and could be a right sided forward too. He can tuck in just behind Watkins and provide some quality on the right where he could link in well with McGinn and be a hidden weapon. Could give width, pace and creativity which could make him a real asset as the club pushes for the night of the Conference League (don’t laugh).

Now the but. The player is 22 years of age and being a South Korean citizen, he’s eligible for National Service. Word is that he would have to go this Summer which would mean be wouldn’t be able to play football for two years.

With this in mind, should Villa 1. Buy him now and defer the move until he’s 24 by the time he finishes his service 2. Hope that the service is deferred until he’s 26 in which case he could play if and when he joins or 3. Just forget him and go for Guenduzi?

Also, please could you give a steer on the rules governing National Service?

Bear with me. It’s a matter that’s most vexing me.

Cheers in advance.
Lol, thanks, Lawns. I'm not an expert, to be honest, just someone who enjoys K-drama, which I highly recommend. I don’t like K-pop, though. I wouldn't know where to start with the country's art history. Korean food as we know it can be fantastic, though a friend of mine who visited South Korea several years ago reported it's actually "horrid" and mostly "offal". Lmao. Apparently, one delicacy involves eating live octopus.

Speaking of South Korea, I must see the Hallyu exhibition at the V&A. Korean history is fascinating, especially the two countries: same blood and bones torn apart by ideology.

Books
Nothing to envy: real lives in North Korea (2010)
In order to live: a North Korean girl's journey to freedom (2015)
A history of Korea: an episodic narrative (2021, 3rd edn)

Drama
Boys over flowers (2009) – one of the worst, but hilarious
My mister (2018)
My liberation notes (2022)
Squid game (2021)
Twenty-five, Twenty-one (2022)
Trolley (2022)

Films
Tha handmaiden (2016)
Parasite (2019)

Podcasts
Joe Rogan – Yeonmi Park (ep. 1691)
( ◡‿◡ )
POTY 2023 & 2022 finalist
Treat me right
I'm still a good man's daughter
Let me in if I break
And be quiet if I shatter

The Ghost of Alex Higgins
No longer the Bridesmaid

Post by The Ghost of Alex Higgins »

I'm a Seoul man
MAKING TALKFORUM GREAT AGAIN

lambrini

Post by lambrini »

The Ghost of Alex Higgins wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 10:46 pm I'm a Seoul man
Cool and the Gangnam
( ◡‿◡ )
POTY 2023 & 2022 finalist
Treat me right
I'm still a good man's daughter
Let me in if I break
And be quiet if I shatter

Basualdo
Winner - POTY 2011!!!!

Post by Basualdo »

Pusan Cat Dolls.
Proud Gammon

RIP Neil Peart 1952-2020.

kancutlawns

Post by kancutlawns »

BusaN'Dour and Neneh Cherry

kancutlawns

Post by kancutlawns »

lambrini wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 8:43 am
The Ghost of Alex Higgins wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 10:46 pm I'm a Seoul man
Cool and the Gangnam
Gangnam Harry Style

JimmyDee

Post by JimmyDee »

Kimchi is delicious. I make my own, nerd that I am.
"You don't have a world-view by just saying you hate Trump" - Norm Macdonald

"It seems as if every time I turn the station on at the moment this fucking mouth breather is polluting the airwaves with untrammeled bollocks." - MGA99

The Ghost of Alex Higgins
No longer the Bridesmaid

Post by The Ghost of Alex Higgins »

Kimchi fucken reeks of feet
MAKING TALKFORUM GREAT AGAIN