The Israel thread

In-depth debate on all topical issues
birdie

Re: The Israel thread

Post by birdie »

The response from Israel isn't surprising. 'we will retaliate', almost as if Israel is surprised that Iran had the audacity to, err, retaliate when Israel attacked its consulate.

If this was a school playground it would look, just a tad, like the bully boy, backed by the bigger boys, hit the little boy and was surprised that he got hit back.
If the London Borough of Barnet isn't in London where is it?

I'll say soccer whenever I want to soccer soccer soccer soccer bloody soccer
Sent from my Advent Monza S200 so bloody old I can't remember when I bought it

lambrini

Post by lambrini »

Zambo wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 10:52 am
Vespa wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 10:41 am
lambrini wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 9:11 am
Vespa wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 9:34 pm Iran bombing Israel I'm sure it'll end well ...
We're sleepwalking into World War Three.
I don't think so.
Nor me.
"Well, sweetie, it was a very hard war."
—Dirk Bogarde responding to a BBC commentator's critique on his "depressing" novel about WW2. Bogarde claimed to have been one of the first officers to enter Bergen-Belsen concentration camp, which he later described as "Dante's Inferno."

Hi, both. I disagree. Most people didn't foresee a second World War. World wars simmer for years, even decades.
I'm not sure why the Iranians attacked Israel, as they obviously knew the Israelis would retaliate.

I find the state of the world at the moment deeply unsettling. Having visited many countries, including China and Russia, and met hundreds of kind, interesting, and forward-thinking people from all walks of life and religions, I refuse to believe that despotic leaders have their nation's best interests at heart. In the end, they only care about themselves and ultimately cause misery, bloodshed, and division. The same goes for Hamas.

We've learned very little from history. Sad.
( ◡‿◡ )
POTY 2023 & 2022 finalist
Treat me right
I'm still a good man's daughter
Let me in if I break
And be quiet if I shatter

lambrini

Post by lambrini »

birdie wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 3:23 pm The response from Israel isn't surprising. 'we will retaliate', almost as if Israel is surprised that Iran had the audacity to, err, retaliate when Israel attacked its consulate.

If this was a school playground it would look, just a tad, like the bully boy, backed by the bigger boys, hit the little boy and was surprised that he got hit back.
Then why did they attack them?
( ◡‿◡ )
POTY 2023 & 2022 finalist
Treat me right
I'm still a good man's daughter
Let me in if I break
And be quiet if I shatter

Zambo

Post by Zambo »

lambrini wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 5:12 pm
Zambo wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 10:52 am
Vespa wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 10:41 am
lambrini wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 9:11 am
Vespa wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 9:34 pm Iran bombing Israel I'm sure it'll end well ...
We're sleepwalking into World War Three.
I don't think so.
Nor me.
"Well, sweetie, it was a very hard war."
—Dirk Bogarde responding to a BBC commentator's critique on his "depressing" novel about WW2. Bogarde claimed to have been one of the first officers to enter Bergen-Belsen concentration camp, which he later described as "Dante's Inferno."

Hi, both. I disagree. Most people didn't foresee a second World War. World wars simmer for years, even decades.
I'm not sure why the Iranians attacked Israel, as they obviously knew the Israelis would retaliate.

I find the state of the world at the moment deeply unsettling. Having visited many countries, including China and Russia, and met hundreds of kind, interesting, and forward-thinking people from all walks of life and religions, I refuse to believe that despotic leaders have their nation's best interests at heart. In the end, they only care about themselves and ultimately cause misery, bloodshed, and division. The same goes for Hamas.

We've learned very little from history. Sad.
Nuclear capabilities have acted as a superb deterrent over the years, and I believe that they will continue to do so. Moreover, they still act for conventional warfare imo, because once the bombs start flying both ways, the fear that some looney will hit the nuclear button is always there.

That is not to say that we will continue to have the tit for tat episodes like the recent ones between Israel and Iran.
When your heart is blue, there is nothing you can do. Keep Right On

chelseachelsea

Post by chelseachelsea »

The Tick wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 10:22 am Iran has the right to defend itself.
Does Ukraine??

The Tick

Post by The Tick »

chelseachelsea wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 6:07 pm
Does Ukraine??
Ukraine has been an aggressor against the people of luhansk and donetsk who have been fighting for self determination.

chelseachelsea

Post by chelseachelsea »

The Tick wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 6:08 pm
Does Ukraine??
Ukraine has been an aggressor against the people of luhansk and donetsk who have been fighting for self determination.
Russia has been the aggressor against Crimea originally, and now the rest of Ukraine.

The Tick

Post by The Tick »

chelseachelsea wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 6:16 pm
Does Ukraine??
Russia has been the aggressor against Crimea originally, and now the rest of Ukraine.
Russia protected parts of ukraine that decided they no longer wanted to live under Ukrainian dominance.

chelseachelsea

Post by chelseachelsea »

The Tick wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 6:19 pm
Does Ukraine??
Russia protected parts of ukraine that decided they no longer wanted to live under Ukrainian dominance.
Aren't there other ways other than invading an area to achieve the same result??

Come on think about it Tick, I'm sure you'll get the answer eventually.

The Tick

Post by The Tick »

chelseachelsea wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 6:24 pm Aren't there other ways other than invading an area to achieve the same result??
The Israelis don't think so.

birdie

Post by birdie »

lambrini wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 5:18 pm
birdie wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 3:23 pm The response from Israel isn't surprising. 'we will retaliate', almost as if Israel is surprised that Iran had the audacity to, err, retaliate when Israel attacked its consulate.

Then why did they attack them?
Because, according to an Israeli spokesman, the building held Iranian military, he also said that the building wasn't a consulate or embassy, something which BBC correspondent said couldn't be verified as western journalists are not allowed into Syria but that the building was very close to the consulate/embassy complex and it wasn't unusual for consulates and embassies to have their country's miliary personal in them.

Israel attacked an Iranian occupied building on Syrian territory and thought there would be no pay back?
Oblige me.
If the London Borough of Barnet isn't in London where is it?

I'll say soccer whenever I want to soccer soccer soccer soccer bloody soccer
Sent from my Advent Monza S200 so bloody old I can't remember when I bought it

Zambo

Post by Zambo »

Does Ukraine??
Absolute nonsense. Russia's invasion contravened International law. It's a bit like Kent saying they no longer want to be part of England, so France invades it and issues the people of Kent French nationality and French passports.
When your heart is blue, there is nothing you can do. Keep Right On

The Tick

Post by The Tick »

Zambo wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 6:32 pm
Does Ukraine??
Absolute nonsense. Russia's invasion contravened International law. It's a bit like Kent saying they no longer want to be part of England, so France invades it and issues the people of Kent French nationality and French passports.
That's what NATO did with Kosovo. The Russians have never forgotten that.

It's what Turkey has done with northern Cyprus and what the USA did with Cuba and Puerto Rico.
Last edited by The Tick on Sun Apr 14, 2024 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chelseachelsea

Post by chelseachelsea »

The Tick wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 6:25 pm
chelseachelsea wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 6:24 pm Aren't there other ways other than invading an area to achieve the same result??
Neither do your mates the Russians, both as bad as each other, wouldn't you agree?

The Tick

Post by The Tick »

chelseachelsea wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 6:41 pm
The Tick wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 6:25 pm
Neither do your mates the Russians, both as bad as each other, wouldn't you agree?
Israel is the 2nd worst offender in modern times when it comes to violating other nations' sovereignty. Only the USA trumps them.