[Diversity] Neighbours returns

Music, TV, movies, anything else media not Talksport related
lambrini

Re: [Diversity] Neighbours returns

Post by lambrini »

subsub wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 8:05 pm
lambrini wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 7:37 pm I find it bizarre that there's an assumption that "minorities" –people of colour, gays, lesbians, gays, trans-whatevers – would only be interested in watching something if characters like them are featured.
Not a question of them "only being interested" in watching something if people like them are featured; I suspect it's more that if they do happen to see someone on screen they can relate to, it encourages a more inclusive society rather than a cliquey closed shop.

Tiger Woods is a classic example: golf was seen 100% as a white man's sport; then he came along and encouraged a whole wave of black kids to take an interest in golf.
They may have watched it before, but Woods' success gave them a role model (his extra-curricular activities notwithstanding etc)
Relate to what? Their "blackness"? Being "trans"? 🤷🏻‍♀️

It depends on the context. Neighbours is fiction, so why should the writers feel obliged to include minorities because diversity says so?

It's sad that everything has become politicised, including sport. Golf is a "white man's game." Isn't that racist, sub? Does it matter what colour Tiger Woods is?
( ◡‿◡ )
POTY 2023 & 2022 finalist
Treat me right
I'm still a good man's daughter
Let me in if I break
And be quiet if I shatter

subsub

Post by subsub »

lambrini wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 8:19 pm Golf is a "white man's game." Isn't that racist, sub? Does it matter what colour Tiger Woods is?
I didn't say that. I said that before Tiger Woods came along, golf was widely regarded as a white man's game by black people.
Take a look:
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2017/ ... s-my-story

I genuinely can't believe how you're struggling to understand the concept.
WOKE AND PROUD

lambrini

Post by lambrini »

subsub wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 8:32 pm
lambrini wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 8:19 pm Golf is a "white man's game." Isn't that racist, sub? Does it matter what colour Tiger Woods is?
I didn't say that. I said that before Tiger Woods came along, golf was widely regarded as a white man's game by black people.
Take a look:
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2017/ ... s-my-story

I genuinely can't believe how you're struggling to understand the concept.
Fair enough, I was wrong about Woods. Nevertheless, ushering in diversity for the sake of it doesn’t make sense. It's a weird mindset. When I watch rugby, I don’t care about the colour or the sexuality of the players.
( ◡‿◡ )
POTY 2023 & 2022 finalist
Treat me right
I'm still a good man's daughter
Let me in if I break
And be quiet if I shatter