The Tory Gov Bullshit thread - Part 4

In-depth debate on all topical issues
The Tick

Re: The Tory Gov Bullshit thread - Part 4

Post by The Tick »

chelseachelsea wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 10:04 pm
The Tick wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 9:43 pm BuT lAbOuR!

Yawn.
You're going to get a jaw ache yawning so much
Given talkforum's propensity for subterfuge, what can one do but yawn at it?

chelseachelsea

Post by chelseachelsea »

The Tick wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 10:06 pm

Yawn.
Get an aching jaw

The Tick

Post by The Tick »

chelseachelsea wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 10:40 pm

Yawn.
Get an aching jaw

Yawning's not the most strenuous act. Jaw ache isn't a danger. Not sure where you get your medical advice from.

antdad

Post by antdad »

birdie wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 7:44 pm As I recall (Good Friday I think) the BBC news said that crews had been advised not to celebrate a win by the usual method of dumping themselves into the water as the level of e-coli were very high, and, as symptoms of e-coli take around 3-4 days to show were the Oxford crew dipping into the water a few days before the race?
Don't need to dip, can catch it from open grazes, nicks and cuts which the rowers will probably have on their hands. Also Oxford will have trained on the Thames, Cambridge on the Ouze so that may have been the cause if they did indeed catch it from the river.

chelseachelsea

Post by chelseachelsea »

The Tick wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 10:48 pm
chelseachelsea wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 10:40 pm

Yawn.
Get an aching jaw

Yawning's not the most strenuous act. Jaw ache isn't a danger. Not sure where you get your medical advice from.
Angela Rayner, as well as her tax avoidance advice, which is totally fucked..

The Tick

Post by The Tick »

BuT lAbOuR!

Yawn.

Vespa

Post by Vespa »

If you live in London and hang out on social media you would seen the Tory anti Khan adverts, the main one seems to be about closing police stations which I don't think is a big issue. The thing I find odd is the Tory brand is so toxic you wouldn't know it's a Tory ad because it doesn't mention the Tory party or even it's candidates name. You'd think they'd be concerned about this.

Zambo

Post by Zambo »

Closing police stations is a major issue in the region I live same as hospitals. The police station near me is open to the public twice each week for one hour on the two days. The only other way is by phone call and they don't answer the phone.

Then they have the audacity to send me an email asking me how much more I would like to increase my Council Tax to the police.

Hospitals, well today they have said that 14000 people are dying each year because they are not being seen within 12 hours of arriving at A&E.

However, not to worry, The Gov says services are safe in their hands, and they are putting some money in to sort it.
When your heart is blue, there is nothing you can do. Keep Right On

Vespa

Post by Vespa »

You get treated in hospitals, if you wander into a police station they won't solve the crime you've suffered. Boris closed more stations than Sadiq.
Friend of mine is a senior policeman in London and he makes the point that police only stop crime when people think they'll get caught. So seeing the police is a lot more important than where they get changed.
I've not seen a police officer in my neighbourhood for over a year unless I go to my local park where they bizarrely follow the park warden giving out tickets to people who let their dogs shit everywhere.
I'd care more about seeing the police walking the streets than where they get changed.

birdie

Post by birdie »

Zambo wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 4:04 pm Closing police stations is a major issue in the region I live same as hospitals. The police station near me is open to the public twice each week for one hour on the two days. The only other way is by phone call and they don't answer the phone.

Then they have the audacity to send me an email asking me how much more I would like to increase my Council Tax to the police.

Hospitals, well today they have said that 14000 people are dying each year because they are not being seen within 12 hours of arriving at A&E.

However, not to worry, The Gov says services are safe in their hands, and they are putting some money in to sort it.
Cant disagree, anyone who says different is, well, I wont say it as I would probably
get a ban.
High Barnet closed its front counter to the public a couple or more years ago and Whetstone closed completely more than a decade ago, the nearest station with a front counter is Colindale, miles away.
A few weeks ago my next door neighbour knocked on the door in some distress, he was being harassed by a group of youngsters knocking on his door and throwing stones at his windows, this over several days. He's what is termed vulnerable and doesn't have a landline.
Long story short, I rang 999 and got put through to Colindale who said they couldn't come out but would look at CCTV, useless as the kids ran off in the opposite direction of the CCTV camera position. High Barnet station is 5 minutes away, and would, I presume, have sent someone out to see a vulnerable person but Colindale said they didn't have anyone spare to send, so he has to make do with Colindale ringing me to tell him that they couldn't see anything on the CCTV, of course they couldn't he'd told them the direction they'd gone, no where near the CCTV.
If the London Borough of Barnet isn't in London where is it?

I'll say soccer whenever I want to soccer soccer soccer soccer bloody soccer
Sent from my Advent Monza S200 so bloody old I can't remember when I bought it

The Tick

Post by The Tick »

birdie wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 4:31 pm
Cant disagree, anyone who says different is, well, I wont say it as I would probably
get a ban.
High Barnet closed its front counter to the public a couple or more years ago and Whetstone closed completely more than a decade ago, the nearest station with a front counter is Colindale, miles away.
A few weeks ago my next door neighbour knocked on the door in some distress, he was being harassed by a group of youngsters knocking on his door and throwing stones at his windows, this over several days. He's what is termed vulnerable and doesn't have a landline.
Long story short, I rang 999 and got put through to Colindale who said they couldn't come out but would look at CCTV, useless as the kids ran off in the opposite direction of the CCTV camera position. High Barnet station is 5 minutes away, and would, I presume, have sent someone out to see a vulnerable person but Colindale said they didn't have anyone spare to send, so he has to make do with Colindale ringing me to tell him that they couldn't see anything on the CCTV, of course they couldn't he'd told them the direction they'd gone, no where near the CCTV.
Your neighbour could try to talk to them next time if they ever reappear. Sometimes dialogue can help avoid the need for reactive action. A lot of these types of people are just looking for attention and showing a willingness to engage with them as a friend is a good way to dissuade them from further misbehaviour. If your neighbour is indeed a vulnerable person maybe you could help him with this so that he doesn't feel too afraid.

birdie

Post by birdie »

'f your neighbour is indeed a vulnerable person '

Are you suggestion I'm not saying it as it is? FFS, he's got cerebral palsy has walking and speech issues and the last thing he needs is trying to engage with a group of louts who make fun of his condition.

End of.

The Tick

Post by The Tick »

That's why I suggested you (and/or another neighbour) could help him. Having support would be a good thing and it would show the offending persons that using weight of numbers to intimidate someone won't always work. Community engagement is the way forward.

birdie

Post by birdie »

You suggested I wasn't telling the truth, as for me and other neighbours helping him, you know feck all what I do for him which is a darned sight more than you may suppose.

As all the best broadsheets used to say, this correspondence is now at an end.

Sunbeam Alpine

Post by Sunbeam Alpine »

Vespa wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 4:21 pm You get treated in hospitals, if you wander into a police station they won't solve the crime you've suffered. Boris closed more stations than Sadiq.
Friend of mine is a senior policeman in London and he makes the point that police only stop crime when people think they'll get caught. So seeing the police is a lot more important than where they get changed.
I've not seen a police officer in my neighbourhood for over a year unless I go to my local park where they bizarrely follow the park warden giving out tickets to people who let their dogs shit everywhere.
I'd care more about seeing the police walking the streets than where they get changed.
Police stations have been closing for years.
Thames Valley, I recall, closed Henley well over 10 years ago and Henley being Henley there was a massive public outcry.
Until TVP showed stats revealing that in the year up to closure less than 20 public referrals of "crimes" had been made at that station and that the location was lousy for siting vehicle-based officers. Furthermore that they could get something like £0.75m for the site. Overwhelmingly people report problems by phone or online.
As for "bobbies on the beat" most forces have stats to show that an officer on foot came across a crime on average, every 18 months, and even then the offenders, unsportingly, would NOT be on foot.
That's how we got PCSOs , far cheaper to train and employ, who do more of that activity because people are misled by politicians to believe it matters. In the main a PCSO seeing an incident will radio it in anyway.`