9/11: 22 years on

Friendly chat, will be moderated if necessary.
lambrini

9/11: 22 years on

Post by lambrini »

It's hard to believe that most of today's young people – at least two generations, Gen Z and Gen Alpha – were either too young to remember the September 11 attacks or weren't born when they happened. We seem to be forgetting, much like we have with World War Two and other globally significant events, why the attacks occurred and the worldwide societal impacts that followed.

Where were you that day? I had not long started my second year of secondary school (Year eight) and remember attending an emergency Religious Studies class the following morning. Back then, aspects of Religious Studies, or R.S. as its known, preceded Diversity and Inclusion.

( ◡‿◡ )
POTY 2023 & 2022 finalist
Treat me right
I'm still a good man's daughter
Let me in if I break
And be quiet if I shatter

Turningleft

Re: 9/11: 22 years on

Post by Turningleft »

3.30pm, just leaving work, someone mumbled about a plane hitting a building in the states. I was thinking Cessna or something and brushed it off. My mate was on holiday there at the time.

subsub

Post by subsub »

Turningleft wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 4:41 pm 3.30pm, just leaving work, someone mumbled about a plane hitting a building in the states. I was thinking Cessna or something and brushed it off. My mate was on holiday there at the time.
Yes, I remember the early reports all saying it was a little plane, not a jumbo jet.
I was working at a local paper in North London, and once we heard we stuck the telly on, just before the second tower was hit.
My chief sub was panicking because his mum had just taken her first-ever flight, and was on her way to the States at the time (they turned back pretty sharpish).

We found a local connection to 9/11 and did a story on it. What our clueless sales department forgot to tell us was that weeks earlier, they had booked a front-page ad by this English language college in N London called, unbelievably, 'The Twin Towers College' or similar, but it didn't occur to them that running the ad might appear slightly crass given what had happened :rolleyes:
WOKE AND PROUD

Sid Pervcat

Post by Sid Pervcat »

I was in work, came on the news...much like everyone else, though it was a small plane and paid little attention..

The Tick

Post by The Tick »

I'm still pissed off that it ruined the end of neighbours that afternoon. Couldn't even watch the early evening repeat.

subsub

Post by subsub »

Pretty sure they evacuated Canary Wharf because people (not unreasonably) suspected it might be next on the list.
WOKE AND PROUD

lambrini

Post by lambrini »

The Tick wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 5:24 pm I'm still pissed off that it ruined the end of neighbours that afternoon. Couldn't even watch the early evening repeat.
Here comes Tick with his cringeworthy "spicy" jokes. 'Course you were, mate. :D
( ◡‿◡ )
Treat me right
Let me in if I break

The Tick

Post by The Tick »

lambrini wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 5:28 pm
The Tick wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 5:24 pm I'm still pissed off that it ruined the end of neighbours that afternoon. Couldn't even watch the early evening repeat.
Here comes Tick with his cringeworthy "spicy" jokes. 'Course you were, mate. :D
No joke. It was a great storyline disrupted at the time.

I never forgave bin laden or the taliban after that. I'm so glad we were able to eradicate the taliban once and for a...

Ah. :D

lambrini

Post by lambrini »

subsub wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 4:49 pm
Turningleft wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 4:41 pm 3.30pm, just leaving work, someone mumbled about a plane hitting a building in the states. I was thinking Cessna or something and brushed it off. My mate was on holiday there at the time.
Yes, I remember the early reports all saying it was a little plane, not a jumbo jet.
I was working at a local paper in North London, and once we heard we stuck the telly on, just before the second tower was hit.
My chief sub was panicking because his mum had just taken her first-ever flight, and was on her way to the States at the time (they turned back pretty sharpish).

We found a local connection to 9/11 and did a story on it. What our clueless sales department forgot to tell us was that weeks earlier, they had booked a front-page ad by this English language college in N London called, unbelievably, 'The Twin Towers College' or similar, but it didn't occur to them that running the ad might appear slightly crass given what had happened :rolleyes:
I thought you were still a kid back then, sub.
To be honest, 7/7 had a more profound impact on me. I finished GCSE art that year and was so moved by the events that I created a piece inspired by lyrics from Madonna's song 'Nothing Fails,' from an album I frequently listened to at the time. The artwork also included a drawing of a dove with blood on its breast and a newspaper photo with the headline 'TERRORISTS ATTACK LONDON: MANY DEAD' written by an Evening Standard seller.
( ◡‿◡ )
Treat me right
Let me in if I break

chelseachelsea

Post by chelseachelsea »

I was at work, an Area manager for a cleaning company at the time driving from site to site, listening to Talksport......after about 30 mins of hearing
about the first strike..I went home and spent the rest of the day in front of the telly.........and No it wasn't watching Neighbours.

The Ghost of Alex Higgins
No longer the Bridesmaid

Post by The Ghost of Alex Higgins »

lambrini wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 5:45 pm I thought you were still a kid back then, sub.
:lol:
MAKING TALKFORUM GREAT AGAIN

VeritasVincit

Post by VeritasVincit »

Not long retired, driving with the dog to our usual walking area. The first radio report sounded like an accident. Then driving back a while later the second report, and it was obvious something more serious than than that. Back home glued to TV then as reports were coming in all the time.

JimmyDee

Post by JimmyDee »

I was working nights, and switched the radio on when I got up to hear Mike Parry ranting on about some skyscraper on fire and untold destruction or some fucking thing. I assumed he was exaggerating as per usual, so never even bothered to turn the telly on. I suppose I must have caught on at some point, but I missed it all "live".
"You don't have a world-view by just saying you hate Trump" - Norm Macdonald

"It seems as if every time I turn the station on at the moment this fucking mouth breather is polluting the airwaves with untrammeled bollocks." - MGA99

subsub

Post by subsub »

JimmyDee wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 9:31 am I was working nights, and switched the radio on when I got up to hear Mike Parry ranting on about some skyscraper on fire and untold destruction or some fucking thing. I assumed he was exaggerating as per usual, so never even bothered to turn the telly on. I suppose I must have caught on at some point, but I missed it all "live".
Not forgetting Porky saying that Osama Bin Laden bore a close resemblance to Mick Fleetwood, then having to issue an apology a few minutes later, and announcing that neither Fleetwood nor any of his friends or family had anything to do with the 9/11 attacks :lol: :lol: :lol:
WOKE AND PROUD

kevin04

Post by kevin04 »

Classic radio, its on YouTube, I would have LOVED to have heard that live. ''Not too unlike the Fleetwood Mac drummer Mick Fleetwood,'' :lol:

I believe it happened it mostly, but the Pentagon stuff is seriously strange. Very little evidence, it was only 20 years ago! Or 22 even :D
Bellend. Rupert Bell fanclub - MEMBER.