The Reckoning

Music, TV, movies, anything else media not Talksport related
kancutlawns

Re: The Reckoning

Post by kancutlawns »

We won’t really ever know. Probably been locked away under a fifty year Official Secrets ruling or something. Don’t think this discounts her role in getting him accepted by the establishment.

Sunbeam Alpine

Post by Sunbeam Alpine »

lambrini wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 11:38 pm
Sadact7 wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 9:10 pm Sir Jimmy Savile.

One of Yorkshire’s finest. Born, bred and created in the streets of Leeds.

#TrueTyke
The first episode is pretty good. Coogan captures Savile's likeness, but then, so he should, considering he is a northerner himself.
I found the BBC scene towards the end unbelievable. As if ONE person in the meeting was skeptical, and OF COURSE, she had to be a woman (the ol' men bad, women good trope.)
Can you tell us how being a northerner would help him "capture his likeness". Voice , perhaps..

Jonathan

Post by Jonathan »

lambrini wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 1:23 pm
kancutlawns wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 1:04 pm
lambrini wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 12:51 pm
Jonathan wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 12:42 pm
lambrini wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 8:24 am I found the implication that Saville had a role in Margaret Thatcher winning the election laughable. There were too many Thatcher-Savile scenes. Everyone was fooled, and none more so than the BBC and the rest of the media. The BBC was even planning a tribute series days following his death, while a couple of journalists took it upon themselves to find out the truth, which eventually became the Savile Scandal.
Thatcher was the one though who pushed thru the knighthood despite reservations from others.
True. He visited Chequers a few times. But to imply he manipulated the nation to vote Tory in '77 is highly doubtful.
Loathed as I am to post anything from this rag, this may tell you what you need to know about that horrible old hag’s part in getting Uncle Jimmeh his knighthood. By all means post up something that contradicts this.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... avile.html
I don't dispute all that, Lawns. But my point is still valid: There's no evidence that shows Savile's conservative connection persuaded the country to vote Tory in 1977.
It’s not valid as he openly supported the Tories and encouraged people to vote for them.

lambrini

Post by lambrini »

Jonathan wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 2:34 pm
lambrini wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 8:24 am I found the implication that Saville had a role in Margaret Thatcher winning the election laughable. There were too many Thatcher-Savile scenes. Everyone was fooled, and none more so than the BBC and the rest of the media. The BBC was even planning a tribute series days following his death, while a couple of journalists took it upon themselves to find out the truth, which eventually became the Savile Scandal.
Thatcher was the one though who pushed thru the knighthood despite reservations from others.
True. He visited Chequers a few times. But to imply he manipulated the nation to vote Tory in '77 is highly doubtful.
Loathed as I am to post anything from this rag, this may tell you what you need to know about that horrible old hag’s part in getting Uncle Jimmeh his knighthood. By all means post up something that contradicts this.

I don't dispute all that, Lawns. But my point is still valid: There's no evidence that shows Savile's conservative connection persuaded the country to vote Tory in 1977.
It’s not valid as he openly supported the Tories and encouraged people to vote for them.
Economic and societal problems ushered in the Tories, not a creepy BBC presenter.
( ◡‿◡ )
POTY 2023 & 2022 finalist
Treat me right
I'm still a good man's daughter
Let me in if I break
And be quiet if I shatter

kancutlawns

Post by kancutlawns »

Isn’t that always the case though in this country’s elections though?

Jonathan

Post by Jonathan »

lambrini wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 3:40 pm
Jonathan wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 2:34 pm

Economic and societal problems ushered in the Tories, not a creepy BBC presenter.
Creepy Maggie’s mate was out there supporting her. You can’t get away from that fact as much as you want to try.

Petingo

Post by Petingo »

subsub wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 9:15 am 1st episode last night.
Incredible performance by Coogan - very unsettling.

Yes, he was marvellous.
Alex Young, Howard Kendall, Andy King, Timmy Cahill, Dixie Dean and Mike Parry.....we'll never see the likes of them again.

Reg

Post by Reg »

Sunbeam Alpine wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 1:48 pm
Can you tell us how being a northerner would help him "capture his likeness".
It's pretty obvious - most northerners are seriously inbred and therefore look the same.
Roy IN!!

lambrini

Post by lambrini »

Reg wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 9:25 pm
Sunbeam Alpine wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 1:48 pm
Can you tell us how being a northerner would help him "capture his likeness".
It's pretty obvious - most northerners are seriously inbred and therefore look the same.
:lol:

That explains it! @Sadact7
( ◡‿◡ )
POTY 2023 & 2022 finalist
Treat me right
I'm still a good man's daughter
Let me in if I break
And be quiet if I shatter