Mr Bates vs The Post Office.

Music, TV, movies, anything else media not Talksport related
birdie

Re: Mr Bates vs The Post Office.

Post by birdie »

Zambo wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:52 am
birdie wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:44 am I watched the first episode and was griped so watched the whole lot on ITVX and went to bed at 2.30am :lol:
What I found astonishing is that the PO didn't look at how many were having shortfalls when they hadn't had any problems before, but, of course, a computer can never be wrong. Also another thing puzzled me, why would Fujitsu want to access a terminal to make adjustments if the programme was fool proof.
Perhaps I'm being foolish, but before Horizon was installed the post master made all transactions on paper and balanced them, if a person suspects something is wrong why didn't any of them do the paper accounting side by side to compare?

As for the notion that ITV is using this to bash the government, don't forget this was going on long before this government came in and inherited the problem.
The PO is wholly to blame, and the costs of compensating all those prosecuted goes into tens of millions, but when you consider the billions which the government, of whichever colour, spends on what some might consider frivolous schemes, it should finds the funds to pay those who lost everything through no fault of their own, and what about Fujitsu, they seem to have got away with selling a faulty system and no come backs, perhaps they should be the ones to pay out.

The executives who lied about the system being fool proof should be stripped of whichever orders they were awarded and should lose their pensions, or at least be prosecuted for misconduct whilst in office.
Totally agree, and if it were me, I would have been straight onto the manual calculations. Still do my househokl budget in an exercise book. :D

I found watching it quite emotional.
Flipping 'eck Zambo, you've just brought back what my husband used to do. Having having run the family business accounts he kept up his day book up until the week before he went into hospital and died 5 months later. He didn't use an exercise book but a proper two column ledger and got really pissed off if he couldn't balance it.
I always used to say I was the only woman in Barnet (which isn't in London) who knew exactly how much we didn't have. :lol:
If the London Borough of Barnet isn't in London where is it?

I'll say soccer whenever I want to soccer soccer soccer soccer bloody soccer
Sent from my Advent Monza S200 so bloody old I can't remember when I bought it

Zambo

Post by Zambo »

Wouldn't survive if I couldn't Tick my ddrs off in my 80 page Wilko A5. :D
When your heart is blue, there is nothing you can do. Keep Right On

lambrini

Post by lambrini »

birdie wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 11:00 am
Zambo wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:52 am
birdie wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:44 am I watched the first episode and was griped so watched the whole lot on ITVX and went to bed at 2.30am :lol:
What I found astonishing is that the PO didn't look at how many were having shortfalls when they hadn't had any problems before, but, of course, a computer can never be wrong. Also another thing puzzled me, why would Fujitsu want to access a terminal to make adjustments if the programme was fool proof.
Perhaps I'm being foolish, but before Horizon was installed the post master made all transactions on paper and balanced them, if a person suspects something is wrong why didn't any of them do the paper accounting side by side to compare?

As for the notion that ITV is using this to bash the government, don't forget this was going on long before this government came in and inherited the problem.
The PO is wholly to blame, and the costs of compensating all those prosecuted goes into tens of millions, but when you consider the billions which the government, of whichever colour, spends on what some might consider frivolous schemes, it should finds the funds to pay those who lost everything through no fault of their own, and what about Fujitsu, they seem to have got away with selling a faulty system and no come backs, perhaps they should be the ones to pay out.

The executives who lied about the system being fool proof should be stripped of whichever orders they were awarded and should lose their pensions, or at least be prosecuted for misconduct whilst in office.
Totally agree, and if it were me, I would have been straight onto the manual calculations. Still do my househokl budget in an exercise book. :D

I found watching it quite emotional.
Flipping 'eck Zambo, you've just brought back what my husband used to do. Having having run the family business accounts he kept up his day book up until the week before he went into hospital and died 5 months later. He didn't use an exercise book but a proper two column ledger and got really pissed off if he couldn't balance it.
I always used to say I was the only woman in Barnet (which isn't in London) who knew exactly how much we didn't have. :lol:
Birdie! :lol: :lol: :lol:
( ◡‿◡ )
POTY 2023 & 2022 finalist
Treat me right
I'm still a good man's daughter
Let me in if I break
And be quiet if I shatter

birdie

Post by birdie »

Zambo wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 11:17 am Wouldn't survive if I couldn't Tick my ddrs off in my 80 page Wilko A5. :D
Sad to say I haven't Tick-ed any ledger since he died, just check the bank statements for t see if I don't have too much month left at the end of my money.

birdie

Post by birdie »

Zambo wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 11:17 am Wouldn't survive if I couldn't Tick my ddrs off in my 80 page Wilko A5. :D
You must be really Tick-ed off with having to make do with Rymans or WH Smith :lol:

Zambo

Post by Zambo »

birdie wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 12:07 pm
You must be really Tick-ed off with having to make do with Rymans or WH Smith :lol:
Bit of a come down, but I survived after Woolies closed. :D

englundgambit2

Post by englundgambit2 »

Petition to strip that evil witch of her CBE

https://you.38degrees.org.uk/petitions/ ... tm_source=

birdie

Post by birdie »

englundgambit2 wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 1:55 pm Petition to strip that evil witch of her CBE

Unless 'the establishment' were blind and deaf they must have known of her involvement in the Horizon scandal and the cover up and her unwillingness, and, it later transpired, her downright misleading to the Select Committee, which is contempt of Parliament.
Yet they still approved her CBE.
Just shows how, in some cases, the system is, at best, incompetent and, at worse, corrupt.

Zambo

Post by Zambo »

I'd go for the last option.

englundgambit2

Post by englundgambit2 »

birdie wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 2:23 pm
englundgambit2 wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 1:55 pm Petition to strip that evil witch of her CBE

Unless 'the establishment' were blind and deaf they must have known of her involvement in the Horizon scandal and the cover up and her unwillingness, and, it later transpired, her downright misleading to the Select Committee, which is contempt of Parliament.
Yet they still approved her CBE.
Just shows how, in some cases, the system is, at best, incompetent and, at worse, corrupt.
Oh yeah. Corrupt as fuck the bastards.
Last edited by englundgambit2 on Fri Jan 05, 2024 5:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

englundgambit2

Post by englundgambit2 »

Petition now over 500k. Good to see that evil witch in the spotlight.

birdie

Post by birdie »

Plod now looking at fraud, perjury and perverting the course of justice by the PO, 2 interviewed under caution but not charged.

englundgambit2

Post by englundgambit2 »

You just know that narcissist witch Vennells thinks she did nothing wrong. Or maybe she thinks God made her do it.

This is the place to read all about the history in depth -

https://www.postofficescandal.uk/

Jonathan

Post by Jonathan »

There was an excellent Panorama on this subject.

Absolute scandal how these people were treated by very senior executives. I fear everyone will get away with it all though.

The only criticism of ITV is they seemed to ignore who was running the post office when this all started. A bit naughty but otherwise it’s been great TV drama.

birdie

Post by birdie »

Jonathan wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 1:44 pm There was an excellent Panorama on this subject.

Absolute scandal how these people were treated by very senior executives. I fear everyone will get away with it all though.

The only criticism of ITV is they seemed to ignore who was running the post office when this all started. A bit naughty but otherwise it’s been great TV drama.
What's the betting that if a Tory government had been in office in 1999 when Horizon was installed, and don't forget problems started very soon after installation, if not immediately, the TV company would have found some way of introducing the fact that a Tory government was in charge, after all, the PO was owned by the Government.