Jonathan

Re: Mr Bates vs The Post Office.

Post by Jonathan »

Zippy wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 4:19 pm
Sadact7 wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 9:26 pm
Sid Pervcat wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 6:14 pm Yeah but...Will Mellor....💩💩
He really is a low key ginormocunt
:lol:

I watched the series. Amazed any of the sub postmasters were convicted given such flimsy evidence, although the Post Office do their own investigations of course and were only too happy to pull the "computer says no" card. Fujitsu should be just as culpable as the Post Office in this. If I was a victim, I'd be wanting double bubble from both.
The worrying thing is without the series it would have struggled to get the media traction it is now.

chelseachelsea

Post by chelseachelsea »

Jonathan wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 8:02 pm

I watched the series. Amazed any of the sub postmasters were convicted given such flimsy evidence, although the Post Office do their own investigations of course and were only too happy to pull the "computer says no" card. Fujitsu should be just as culpable as the Post Office in this. If I was a victim, I'd be wanting double bubble from both.
The worrying thing is without the series it would have struggled to get the media traction it is now.
Even more worrying, it's been public knowledge for years, but until this programme it was shoved under the carpet.

Sunbeam Alpine

Post by Sunbeam Alpine »

Johnson got £248k from the taxpayer in aid, despite being a millionaire with generous friends and a pension from being PM

Public aid for the postmasters and the Hillsborough families-nil

Sadact7

Post by Sadact7 »

chelseachelsea wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 8:11 pm

Even more worrying, it's been public knowledge for years, but until this programme it was shoved under the carpet.
It’s beyond worrying, it’s utterly depressing and pathetic.

Maybe if ITV could deliver all news stories in the format of a three part drama (sponsored by the new Renault Megane) then the disgustingly apathetic public in this country might actually take a bit of notice.
Oh Five - Oh Two - Twenty Four

In a bit Foam Moe

lambrini

Post by lambrini »

Sadact7 wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 10:28 pm

Maybe if ITV could deliver all news stories in the format of a three part drama (sponsored by the new Renault Megane) then the disgustingly apathetic public in this country might actually take a bit of notice.
💯

One excuse I've heard floating around is "if only Twitter was more prevalent back then, perhaps the scandal would have stirred the general public to do something sooner." Bollocks.

You're quite right, Sadders. The apathy and docile nature of the public is astonishing, really. It's getting worse every generation, not only in ordinary people but celebrities, too.

Listen to interviews from thirty years ago or more and you'll notice a significant difference. We're rarely intellectually challenged these days. Interviews, for example, are often dumbed down with silly questions and canned laughter. Sad.

2023:

1980:
( ◡‿◡ )
POTY 2023 & 2022 finalist
Treat me right
I'm still a good man's daughter
Let me in if I break
And be quiet if I shatter

JudgeTedd

Post by JudgeTedd »

lambrini wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 10:29 am

💯

One excuse I've heard floating around is "if only Twitter was more prevalent back then, perhaps the scandal would have stirred the general public to do something sooner." Bollocks.

You're quite right, Sadders. The apathy and docile nature of the public is astonishing, really. It's getting worse every generation, not only in ordinary people but celebrities, too.

Listen to interviews from thirty years ago or more and you'll notice a significant difference. We're rarely intellectually challenged these days. Interviews, for example, are often dumbed down with silly questions and canned laughter. Sad.

2023:

1980:
The way news stories are offered up to the public, nothing really shocks these days. It’s either got a spin on it depending on who’s involved. Or it’s passed off as some sort of conspiracy by the ‘other side’.

Also, celebrities these days don’t really have much of interest to say.
It's not the despair, Laura. I can take the despair. It's the hope I can't stand. ~ Brian Stimpson

POTY winner 2022

GROTY winner 2022

JimmyDee

Post by JimmyDee »

lambrini wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 10:29 am One excuse I've heard floating around is "if only Twitter was more prevalent back then, perhaps the scandal would have stirred the general public to do something sooner." Bollocks.
Bollocks indeed.
If then was now: stupid old boomers don't understand computers, and they'll be dead soon anyway. Wha'evaah. Here's an in-depth investigation by Graham Norton to ask them if they've ever met anyone famous who popped in to buy some stamps, and then Russell Brand to use a lot of long words.
"You don't have a world-view by just saying you hate Trump" - Norm Macdonald

"It seems as if every time I turn the station on at the moment this fucking mouth breather is polluting the airwaves with untrammeled bollocks." - MGA99

lambrini

Post by lambrini »

JudgeTedd wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 12:14 pm

💯

2023:

1980:
The way news stories are offered up to the public, nothing really shocks these days. It’s either got a spin on it depending on who’s involved. Or it’s passed off as some sort of conspiracy by the ‘other side’.

Great observation. Exactly. We are living in a Jerry Springer Show of our own making. It's bizarre. I think it has weakened British society, to be honest.

Very true. In the past, celebrities were often admired for their intelligence and genuine talent; having the ability to ad-lib Shakespeare or put forward thought-provoking arguments about current affairs. They had conviction. Why do people applaud celebrities today? For regurgitating political views, eating kangaroo penis, and winning Catch Phrase. Sad.
( ◡‿◡ )
Treat me right
Let me in if I break

The Ghost of Alex Higgins
No longer the Bridesmaid

Post by The Ghost of Alex Higgins »

Living for the weakend
MAKING TALKFORUM GREAT AGAIN

lambrini

Post by lambrini »

The Ghost of Alex Higgins wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 3:17 pm Living for the weakend
COMING SOON TO JOE & JUICE: SIMP SHAKE – Blended avacado, banana, and kangaroo penis
( ◡‿◡ )
Treat me right
Let me in if I break

JudgeTedd

Post by JudgeTedd »

lambrini wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 2:42 pm
JudgeTedd wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 12:14 pm

💯

2023:

1980:

Great observation. Exactly. We are living in a Jerry Springer Show of our own making. It's bizarre. I think it has weakened British society, to be honest.

Very true. In the past, celebrities were often admired for their intelligence and genuine talent; having the ability to ad-lib Shakespeare or put forward thought-provoking arguments about current affairs. They had conviction. Why do people applaud celebrities today? For regurgitating political views, eating kangaroo penis, and winning Catch Phrase. Sad.
:lol: :lol:
It's not the despair, Laura. I can take the despair. It's the hope I can't stand. ~ Brian Stimpson

POTY winner 2022

GROTY winner 2022

JimmyDee

Post by JimmyDee »

I hope I've made my feelings perfectly clear ... Page 3, 11:24 ... but let's try and see things from her point of view, much as it pains me.

People who get appointed to "Head of Large Organisation" aren't racked by self-doubt. By and large they make a decision and never think about it ever again. The thought "have I made a big balls-up?" never enter their heads; if it did they wouldn't have been appointed in the first place, and they have a history of making correct decisions.

So, there's a new system in place and it doesn't flag everyone up as an embezzler, just a few of them. There are two conclusions you could draw from this:

a) This new system doesn't work, and we've spunked a lot of money up against a wall for nothing.
b) This new system works. It has finally exposed people who have probably been stealing money for years, but at last we've found them out.

Be honest, now, what would YOU have thought, at the time?

HOW investigations were carried out is an entirely different matter, which I'm not addressing in this post.
"You don't have a world-view by just saying you hate Trump" - Norm Macdonald

"It seems as if every time I turn the station on at the moment this fucking mouth breather is polluting the airwaves with untrammeled bollocks." - MGA99

birdie

Post by birdie »

Reports saying that Tony Blair was warned the Horizon system was plagued with problems but chose to stick with it at ditching it would be detrimental to the UK's relationship with Japan.
If the London Borough of Barnet isn't in London where is it?

I'll say soccer whenever I want to soccer soccer soccer soccer bloody soccer
Sent from my Advent Monza S200 so bloody old I can't remember when I bought it

mark
Forum Admin

Post by mark »

No surprises for me in any of the observations here. The warning signs have been there for years. I was aware of things back in the 1980’s but people didn’t want to know then. Apathy is nothing new, nor is public disgust at things they are told to not like.

Now they have harnessed technology as a control mechanism their processes are simplified and things are now much more trackable and traceable.

Remember those people who were warning that 5g technology was being used to spread covid (while denying that covid existed out of the other side of their mouths)? They were simply grifters whose sad proclamations were a useful diversion for those who will control. The real danger of 5g is much more long term than any single pandemic.

birdie

Post by birdie »

Watching the man from Fujitsu giving his evidence. Now, perhaps I'm looking at this the wrong way, but he's admitted that he doesn't have direct knowledge of what went on and is giving his evidence on information taken from documents supplied to him by Fujitsu.
Wouldn't the inquiry and the Select Committee have been better employed questioning those who do have direct knowledge, even if those bods are now in their later years.

I know he's been employed by Fujitsu since 2010, but that doesn't mean he knew anything about the Horizon system and the PO.
Seems a waste of time questioning someone who himself is relying on documents , they might just as well just read the reports.
If the London Borough of Barnet isn't in London where is it?

I'll say soccer whenever I want to soccer soccer soccer soccer bloody soccer
Sent from my Advent Monza S200 so bloody old I can't remember when I bought it