Snow days

In-depth debate on all topical issues
Vespa

Snow days

Post by Vespa »

I can see snow flakes falling from the sky. Looking forward to hearing people moan about it.

kancutlawns

Re: Snow days

Post by kancutlawns »

I've been watching Wild Scandinavia on BBC Player in recent days. Absolutely fascinating, particularly enjoyed a lady base jumping off from a huge cliff and floating. Brilliant programme. Thought about it with all the customary doom and gloom predictions of a bit of snow. Norway and Sweden definitely on my list of places to go in the winter.

lambrini

Post by lambrini »

🤍

"The arrival of the first snow, referred to as cheonnun (첫눈) in Korean, holds great significance in South Korea, marking the transition from autumn to winter and bringing joy to people of all ages as the snow blankets the surroundings.

Beyond its meteorological importance, the first snow carries profound cultural symbolism, entwined with various meanings rooted in tradition and belief. In South Korea, numerous superstitions and beliefs are associated with the first snowfall. One popular superstition suggests that witnessing the first snow with someone you like leads to falling in love and a lasting relationship.

Another intriguing belief holds that the first snowfall was once considered a type of April Fool's Day in Korea due to the unpredictable weather, leading people to tell lies. However, it was believed that all lies would be forgiven on this day, even those told to the king."

( ◡‿◡ )
POTY 2023 & 2022 finalist
Treat me right
I'm still a good man's daughter
Let me in if I break
And be quiet if I shatter

VeritasVincit

Post by VeritasVincit »

Norway in winter is a great place to visit, if you go later in the season when the days are longer.
We used to go at Easter when there was around 12 hours of day. The route we used is no longer available, the ferries no longer run, so what we did would unfortunately be probably impossible.
We used ferries to Sweden then drove up to a farm almost at the Arctic Circle. The roads were good and not too busy, and regularly cleared of snow.
Where stayed was the end of the cleared road. The farm had a hut we rented. The only was to get about was by cross-country ski which we used to cover much of the area around, including going up the mountains. Walking wasn’t possible as there was 6ft+ of snow . One thing that always sticks with me was sitting eating a snack part-way up the mountain when it started snowing from a clear blue sky. But there were no snowflakes, just individual snow crystals about 1cm across which lasted just long enough to study.
Age and infirmity, as well as transport, means we can’t do those trips now.
The photo is outside the hut with the ‘facilities’ in the background [not a place to linger when it was always well below freezing]

Sadact7

Post by Sadact7 »

Norway is shit
Oh Five - Oh Two - Twenty Four

In a bit Foam Moe

Sadact7

Post by Sadact7 »

Admittedly I’ve never been, but that’s just my default setting.

In a bit Foam Moe

The Ghost of Alex Higgins
No longer the Bridesmaid

Post by The Ghost of Alex Higgins »

Fucken fairs tbf
MAKING TALKFORUM GREAT AGAIN

lambrini

Post by lambrini »

Sadact7 wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 10:24 pm Admittedly I’ve never been, but that’s just my default setting.
As a northerner, if you visited Norway in the bleak midwinter, would you take summer clothes? 🤭 "Get t' shorts owt, lad, we're visitin' Noor'waaaay! Aye!"
( ◡‿◡ )
Treat me right
Let me in if I break

Sadact7

Post by Sadact7 »

lambrini wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 10:27 pm
Sadact7 wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 10:24 pm Admittedly I’ve never been, but that’s just my default setting.
As a northerner, if you visited Norway in the bleak midwinter, would you take summer clothes? 🤭 "Get t' shorts owt, lad, we're visitin' Noor'waaaay! Aye!"
Nope. An ‘oliday is an ‘oliday is an ‘oliday.

Shirts off, get on the cans, where’s the best place to get chips?

In a bit Foam Moe

paolo

Post by paolo »

VeritasVincit wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 1:40 pm Norway in winter is a great place to visit, if you go later in the season when the days are longer.
We used to go at Easter when there was around 12 hours of day. The route we used is no longer available, the ferries no longer run, so what we did would unfortunately be probably impossible.
We used ferries to Sweden then drove up to a farm almost at the Arctic Circle. The roads were good and not too busy, and regularly cleared of snow.
Where stayed was the end of the cleared road. The farm had a hut we rented. The only was to get about was by cross-country ski which we used to cover much of the area around, including going up the mountains. Walking wasn’t possible as there was 6ft+ of snow . One thing that always sticks with me was sitting eating a snack part-way up the mountain when it started snowing from a clear blue sky. But there were no snowflakes, just individual snow crystals about 1cm across which lasted just long enough to study.
The photo is outside the hut with the ‘facilities’ in the background [not a place to linger when it was always well below freezing]
norway an old haunt of Vespa i think....sailing boats and tall blonde norwegians

i used to do the arctic circle drive....in my trusty wedge...g20 kyg volvo 480 es on studded tires from turku to rovaniemi

silja line and viking line to stockholm or tallin at weekends

a flurry this morning but gone now

not much snow right now in bc and ab
Poster of the Year

End the Woke

End Israeli Genocide

Stop The Planned War On Iraq & Iran

End The WEF, World Bank & Other Corrupt Scumbags

Supporting African Indepedence

End The Tyranny Of The Dollar

Supporting Texas

lambrini

Post by lambrini »

Sadact7 wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 10:30 pm
lambrini wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 10:27 pm
Nope. An ‘oliday is an ‘oliday is an ‘oliday.

Shirts off, get on the cans, where’s the best place to get chips?
:lol:

"Pablo! What's on your állahu cartier menu, lad?"
"Chippins, batterin' sausagins..."
"Sounds grand. Curry sauce?"
"Yes, Mister Fahki-Haus! Curry saucins."
Can o' Stella?
"Stella-rings? Certainly!"
"Cheers, me dook!"

( ◡‿◡ )
Treat me right
Let me in if I break

lambrini

Post by lambrini »

paolo wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 10:37 pm
VeritasVincit wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 1:40 pm Norway in winter is a great place to visit, if you go later in the season when the days are longer.
norway an old haunt of Vespa i think....sailing boats and tall blonde norwegians

i used to do the arctic circle drive....in my trusty wedge...g20 kyg volvo 480 es on studded tires from turku to rovaniemi

You should write a memoir about your travels, Paolo. Your life sounds interesting tbf.
( ◡‿◡ )
Treat me right
Let me in if I break

paolo

Post by paolo »

lambrini wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 10:45 pm
paolo wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 10:37 pm

You should write a memoir about your travels, Paolo. Your life sounds interesting tbf.
karma got me

it's a pile of wank now
Poster of the Year

End the Woke

End Israeli Genocide

Stop The Planned War On Iraq & Iran

End The WEF, World Bank & Other Corrupt Scumbags

Supporting African Indepedence

End The Tyranny Of The Dollar

Supporting Texas

The Ghost of Alex Higgins
No longer the Bridesmaid

Post by The Ghost of Alex Higgins »

OI! TORSTED! WHERE'S ME FAKKIN KEBAB YOU VIKING CANT!
MAKING TALKFORUM GREAT AGAIN

JimmyDee

Post by JimmyDee »

Back to snow: in my experience it's the second-worst thing to drive through, after fog.
You get a bit hypnotised.
"You don't have a world-view by just saying you hate Trump" - Norm Macdonald

"It seems as if every time I turn the station on at the moment this fucking mouth breather is polluting the airwaves with untrammeled bollocks." - MGA99