Conscription

In-depth debate on all topical issues
kancutlawns

Re: Conscription

Post by kancutlawns »

antdad wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 5:33 pm
birdie wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 1:38 pm
antdad wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 12:53 pm I hear the army are willing to do wheelchair trak conversions for the over 65's, what do you say Birdie?
I take it you'll be refurbishing your wheels?
If I had them, the thought of being truely all terrain would be quite appealling.
You going to dust down the old bayonet and hunker down in the trenches down in Haywards Heath later, ant? :)

lambrini

Post by lambrini »

kancutlawns wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 5:08 pm I don’t know why you proceed to compare two very different generations and different times with each other. Do you really want to go back to living in wartime Britain? I know that people from those horrible times talk about wartime spirit but life must have been genuinely shit camping out with hundreds of others in tube stations during the blitz.

I don’t think that people today as as grotesque as you repeatedly allude to. Everyone’s just trying to get by with political uncertainty, financial troubles, increasing mental health issues. I just think people on the whole in our society are very lonely and know if they give up, they’ll get swept away with no one really to give a toss about them.

You haven’t given a data or facts at all, just anecdotal opinions that are personal to you.
Oh, please! Save me your virtue signalling, Lawns. You've completely missed my point. I'm not suggesting we should experience the Blitz or return to the 1950s, nor am I ignoring the fact that people do good things, such as volunteering in food banks and accompanying their grandmother at the local gardening centre on Sunday afternoon.

My point is (if you read it properly) if Britain is not physically and mentally prepared for a third world war, and, unfortunately, in comparison to previous years, recent literature indicates that we're not, then the country would be in trouble.

It's no secret that British patriotism has declined significantly amongst younger generations, and anti-Western sentiment is more commonplace, two additional issues that wouldn't put us in a good position at the start of a war, let alone on course for a sustainable future. Again, I'm referring to verified surveys and reports. I haven’t plucked these things out of the air.
( ◡‿◡ )
POTY 2023 & 2022 finalist
Treat me right
I'm still a good man's daughter
Let me in if I break
And be quiet if I shatter

lambrini

Post by lambrini »

kancutlawns wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 5:10 pm
lambrini wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 5:04 pm
kancutlawns wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 4:54 pm
The Tick wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 4:47 pm
lambrini wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 3:45 pm
The Tick wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 6:42 am It's all due to the loss of certainty within our and other western societies. The "rules based order" and "end of history" that we gleefully revelled in post-cold war is eroded enough for such thoughts of all out war to be entertained.

We're no longer the absolutely dominant force in the world and we've got to resort to old fashioned warfare (everyone conveniently forgetting about the existence of nukes) to reassert our fading power.

The difference is that people aren't as easily to fool now as they were in 1914-18.
And what caused that, I wonder?

The rise of powerful nations outwith the western world, and the west's own military folly in places it shouldn't have ventured into among other things.
Added to that the entitlement of society to have a more comfortable, technology driven consumer lifestyle. Would those who complain about Gen-Z using social media be willing to forgo their Netflix, e-books and Amazon if it meant having a more sedate 1950s life replete with rationing?
You're completely missing my point, as usual.
Don’t get personal just because my view is diametrically opposed to mine. I’ll debate with you but don’t dismiss what I say without arguing my points rationally.
I'm not getting personal. And yup, our views are different. I'm a pessimist and a contrarian, and you're... l don't know. To help me make up my mind, why not visit a different thread and throw me a personal insult, one of your 'cheap shots'. :lol:
( ◡‿◡ )
Treat me right
Let me in if I break

paolo

Post by paolo »

war with russia

conscription

going mainstream

even the joeyist of deacons must see that they're sending us a message
Poster of the Year

End the Woke

End Israeli Genocide

Stop The Planned War On Iraq & Iran

End The WEF, World Bank & Other Corrupt Scumbags

Supporting African Indepedence

End The Tyranny Of The Dollar

Supporting Texas

The Tick

Post by The Tick »

What's the betting that the loud, ultra jingoistic, hardcore patriotic types are the exact sort of people who'd soon find excuses not to serve in the military should a draft ever be implemented in this country?

Carlos J
Forum Admin

Post by Carlos J »

The Tick wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 1:17 pm What's the betting that the loud, ultra jingoistic, hardcore patriotic types are the exact sort of people who'd soon find excuses not to serve in the military should a draft ever be implemented in this country?
Good old armchair generals and armchair cannon fodder.
Maybe she's born with it, maybe it's Maybelline.

Non mihi, non tibi, sed nobis.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

paolo

Post by paolo »

The Tick wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 1:17 pm What's the betting that the loud, ultra jingoistic, hardcore patriotic types are the exact sort of people who'd soon find excuses not to serve in the military should a draft ever be implemented in this country?
Ali had the perfect reposte
Poster of the Year

End the Woke

End Israeli Genocide

Supporting Texas

Sunbeam Alpine

Post by Sunbeam Alpine »

paolo wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 10:30 am war with russia

conscription

going mainstream

Do you mean you hear voices?

paolo

Post by paolo »

Sunbeam Alpine wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 3:27 pm
paolo wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 10:30 am war with russia

conscription

going mainstream

Do you mean you hear voices?
You’re definitely feeling better
Poster of the Year

End the Woke

End Israeli Genocide

Supporting Texas

Sid Pervcat

Post by Sid Pervcat »

paolo wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 10:30 am

even the joeyest of deacons must see that they're sending us a message
Genuine lol at this 😆😆😆

Vespa

Post by Vespa »

At the moment with all the talk of Russians getting ready to attack us it just feels like a shit recruitment campaign. Want more people to join the armed forces - make them better places to work.

kancutlawns

Post by kancutlawns »

Vespa wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 10:11 am At the moment with all the talk of Russians getting ready to attack us it just feels like a shit recruitment campaign. Want more people to join the armed forces - make them better places to work.
Is it desperation from our elected members and the MOD to want to throw young men and women into a recreation of the the trenches in the Somme as they genuinely don't know how to save the country from cyber attack, air, land and sea warfare? I'd say that this government is fucking horrible and we should all be worried. Even more so judging by who could been the White House next January.

lambrini

Post by lambrini »

Vespa wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 10:11 am At the moment with all the talk of Russians getting ready to attack us it just feels like a shit recruitment campaign. Want more people to join the armed forces - make them better places to work.
Absolutely right. Church mice salaries, shit housing. Shameful.
( ◡‿◡ )
Treat me right
Let me in if I break

paolo

Post by paolo »

Sid Pervcat wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 8:22 am

Genuine lol at this 😆😆😆
poor sod...i remember the very next day in the playground.... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Poster of the Year

End the Woke

End Israeli Genocide

Supporting Texas

kancutlawns

Post by kancutlawns »

paolo wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 11:19 pm
Sid Pervcat wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 8:22 am

Genuine lol at this 😆😆😆
poor sod...i remember the very next day in the playground.... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
😂😂😂

I remember it so well still.