RNIB books

Friendly chat, will be moderated if necessary.
birdie

RNIB books

Post by birdie »

Got my first RNIB talking book this morning, book 5 of a set of 7 so waiting for books 1-6 to arrive.
Also go my player from Radio for the Blind, I was expecting a small CD player, but no, i Roberts Concerto 3, flipping huge, does everything bar make a cup of tea.
My problem is this, the player is huge, too big to put on the bedside table, and the CD disks are in something called a DAISY format not suitable, the RNIB lady said, for a normal compact CED player, so do any of you know which of the many compact players on the market would be compatible with DAISY disks.

The reviews on most of them don't mention talking books, but I did see one for a Bush player which wasn't very good, playback on the talking books disk abysmal.
All the DAISY players which come up on 'search' are too big to carry around, I really want it for when I go to the hospital for my 4 hours wait and listening in bed so if any of you can help it would be much appreciated.

I suppose I could trawl all the shops with a CD and try out the players, but I don't think the retailers would appreciate that too much. :P
If the London Borough of Barnet isn't in London where is it?

I'll say soccer whenever I want to soccer soccer soccer soccer bloody soccer
Sent from my Advent Monza S200 so bloody old I can't remember when I bought it

antdad

Re: RNIB books

Post by antdad »

Might be a silly question but do you have and can you use a smart phone Birdie?

RNIB must have an online offering and BBC sounds certainly do if you can bear to use it.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/category/audiobooks?page=1

I have an old iphone you can have which would be perfect but it's tiny.

Carlos J
Forum Admin

Post by Carlos J »

No idea, birdie, but hope you get it sorted soon.

I've only ever listened to a few online books and that was using 'Audible' free trials. I suppose again you need a smart phone for that as well.
Maybe she's born with it, maybe it's Maybelline.

Non mihi, non tibi, sed nobis.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

birdie

Post by birdie »

antdad wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 1:43 pm Might be a silly question but do you have and can you use a smart phone Birdie?

RNIB must have an online offering and BBC sounds certainly do if you can bear to use it.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/category/audiobooks?page=1

I have an old iphone you can have which would be perfect but it's tiny.

My daughter passed on a Galaxy J6, but the problem I have is, I cant see the numbers and letters on the keypad, even with the biggest font and and a magnifying glass. apparently I can get that nice Alexa to do it for me but I have to subscribe to that too, and I don't do tech.
Someone is coming around next week to fill out some disability forms for me, she might know something, but I think I'll have to get used to listening instead of reading , but it's all very new to me, and if all else fails I can take atrip to the RNIB in Kings X, but then, it's too far to walk from Kings X station. :P
If the London Borough of Barnet isn't in London where is it?

I'll say soccer whenever I want to soccer soccer soccer soccer bloody soccer
Sent from my Advent Monza S200 so bloody old I can't remember when I bought it

antdad

Post by antdad »

I just had a quick look and there are some used smaller DAISY players on EBAY.

For mobile, get your daughter to look into getting something like an ipod shuffle, it doesn't have a screen but you can navigate it by touch. If you think you could use that I'm sure she could download a few free audio books for the waiting room.