The George Galloway 'conspiracy'

In-depth debate on all topical issues
The Tick

Re: The George Galloway 'conspiracy'

Post by The Tick »

Zambo wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 4:31 pm I won't have right to remove Keir Starmer after the next election, so what's new.
You just wait until the election after that.

Zambo

Post by Zambo »

Any aperson who is put into a leadership position in Government, should be voted in by the public. All I need to say is Truss, Johnson and Sunak for the reasons for that.
When your heart is blue, there is nothing you can do. Keep Right On

The Tick

Post by The Tick »

Zambo wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 5:36 pm Any aperson who is put into a leadership position in Government, should be voted in by the public. All I need to say is Truss, Johnson and Sunak for the reasons for that.
There is an argument for compulsory calling of a general election mid term if an incumbent prime minister is ousted as leader of their own party.

Other than that, the introduction of proportional representation as a voting system, and the full democratisation of the house of Lords is a priority.

lambrini

Post by lambrini »

Sunbeam Alpine wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 4:21 pm So you say it's not a political appointment

The Mayor should be appointed. Really. By whom? That would be a politician. But you would have removed the right for several million people to remove someone who they don't rate. And the chance to say what sort of city they want.

So there's a mayor you don't like.Tell you what let's stop the public having a say in who it is, because they might choose the wrong one. Many people thought the one before was a wanker but I don't recall them arguing for an end to democracy to fix it.

Great plan.
The Mayor of London is an obsolete appointment. End of story.
( ◡‿◡ )
POTY 2023 & 2022 finalist
“The forum's saucy upstart” –Ghost
“Solid broess” –Sadact7
“Decent long termer”–Paolo

The Tick

Post by The Tick »

lambrini wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 6:31 pm
Sunbeam Alpine wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 4:21 pm So you say it's not a political appointment

The Mayor should be appointed. Really. By whom? That would be a politician. But you would have removed the right for several million people to remove someone who they don't rate. And the chance to say what sort of city they want.

So there's a mayor you don't like.Tell you what let's stop the public having a say in who it is, because they might choose the wrong one. Many people thought the one before was a wanker but I don't recall them arguing for an end to democracy to fix it.

Great plan.

Far from it. It's an exercise in devolved governance and democratic representation. You'll have to live with that.

subsub

Post by subsub »

carcinogen wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 11:38 am
Zippy wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 11:20 am
I think Khan is a status symbol for many voters.

Khan is a cunt and that's his right. The role of 'Mayor of London' should not be a political appointment, it should be a commercial decision based on the person's exerience running a massive fucking city. Everytime I hear Khan he's trying to get a dig into The Tories, same with Andy Burnham. Just focus on running the fucking city you pricks. Hiring a mayor should be like hiring someone to run a business, party politic shouldn't come into it. Rant over.
Who should choose the mayor, then? The head of state?
Can see that going down well.
WOKE AND PROUD

lambrini

Post by lambrini »

The Tick wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 6:41 pm

Great plan.

Far from it. It's an exercise in devolved governance and democratic representation. You'll have to live with that.

A weak excuse: You favour Sadiq Khan, so of course you'll say that. "Demographic representation" doesn’t justify the role's existence. I believe the appointment was also irrelevant during Boris and Ken's time. Politics aside, for the most part, it's always been a vanity project.
( ◡‿◡ )
POTY 2023 & 2022 finalist
“The forum's saucy upstart” –Ghost
“Solid broess” –Sadact7
“Decent long termer”–Paolo

birdie

Post by birdie »

Great plan.
Obsolete? Bloody hell Lambers, the office was only invented, for want of a better description, in 2000.
You aren't confusing it with The Lord Mayor of London are you,? That office has been going since about 1180 odd, and refers to the City of London, or, more commonly called 'the square mile'.
If the London Borough of Barnet isn't in London where is it?

I'll say soccer whenever I want to soccer soccer soccer soccer bloody soccer
Sent from my Advent Monza S200 so bloody old I can't remember when I bought it

birdie

Post by birdie »

lambrini wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 7:07 pm

Great plan.

A weak excuse: You favour Sadiq Khan, so of course you'll say that. "Demographic representation" doesn’t justify the role's existence. I believe the appointment was also irrelevant during Boris and Ken's time. Politics aside, for the most part, it's always been a vanity project.
I cant disagree with that, the appointment should have been titled 'Chief Executive Officer', but that wouldn't be grand enough for some, especially the first one in office. :lol:
If the London Borough of Barnet isn't in London where is it?

I'll say soccer whenever I want to soccer soccer soccer soccer bloody soccer
Sent from my Advent Monza S200 so bloody old I can't remember when I bought it

The Tick

Post by The Tick »

lambrini wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 7:07 pm

Great plan.

No it's a real office which has an impact on London. One which has been denied more responsibilities than it should've been given. It's a system which works. It'll be around for some time to come.

paolo

Post by paolo »

The Tick wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 5:44 pm
Zambo wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 5:36 pm Any aperson who is put into a leadership position in Government, should be voted in by the public. All I need to say is Truss, Johnson and Sunak for the reasons for that.
There is an argument for compulsory calling of a general election mid term if an incumbent prime minister is ousted as leader of their own party.

Other than that, the introduction of proportional representation as a voting system, and the full democratisation of the house of Lords is a priority.
As we both know

flood the country with p words and n words....marginalise the g words

introduce pr

control governments in perpetuity
Poster of the Year

End the Woke

End Israeli Genocide

Stop The Planned War On Iraq & Iran

End The WEF, World Bank & Other Corrupt Scumbags

Supporting African Indepedence

End The Tyranny Of The Dollar

Supporting Texas

The Tick

Post by The Tick »

paolo wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 8:55 pm

As we both know

introduce pr

As we both know.

Provide devolved governance for London. Have people elected into the relevant offices. Internet nutjobs cry into their keyboards.

paolo

Post by paolo »

The Tick wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 9:04 pm
paolo wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 8:55 pm

As we both know

introduce pr

As we both know.

Provide devolved governance for London. Have people elected into the relevant offices. Internet nutjobs cry into their keyboards.
Remember, you won many, many years ago

you should put more effort into cementing the destruction of our once great country
Poster of the Year

End the Woke

End Israeli Genocide

Supporting Texas

The Tick

Post by The Tick »

paolo wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 9:22 pm you should put more effort into cementing the destruction of our once great country
"Once great country". :lol:

paolo

Post by paolo »

The Tick wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 9:23 pm
paolo wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 9:22 pm you should put more effort into cementing the destruction of our once great country
"Once great country". :lol:
So you and your ilk have improved it?
Poster of the Year

End the Woke

End Israeli Genocide

Supporting Texas