The Masters

Anything sportlike
carcinogen

The Masters

Post by carcinogen »

Shite. You know how shite it is when the meeja keep going on about druggie-twat Woods. Can Tiger walk the course? Can Tiger do this? Can Tiger do that? Can Tiger cheat on his wife with the baby-sitter? Can Tiger take enough drugs to kill someone whilst driving? On and on it goes. No one gives a fuck, gettit? Mark 'Chappers' Chapman, paid-up BBC cunt talking in hushed tones about the shubbery and magnolia's of the course. No thanks mate. Ugh, it's vile advertisment of high capitalism. Golf is a fetish. I stand by that. It's weird. I have to give Simon Jordan credit because I heard him say, in so many words: I don't give a fuck about The Masters. Neither do I.
“Ordinary men hate solitude. But the Master makes use of it, embracing his aloneness, realizing he is one with the whole universe.” ~ Lao Tzu.

"The world needs bad men. We keep the other bad men from the door". ~ RC, True Detective.

subsub

Re: The Masters

Post by subsub »

You care about it so little that you start a thread about it.
Righto...
WOKE AND PROUD

Saints11

Post by Saints11 »

I quite like the Masters
mentioning other members is not allowed in signatures

Carlos J
Forum Admin

Post by Carlos J »

Saints11 wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 10:57 pm I quite like the Masters
So do I. Rory four shots ahead going into the final round in 2011 and getting a triple bogey at the 10th, bogey at the 11th and double bogey at the 12th was simply magnificent viewing.

As was Sergio's win in 2017 and Tiger's in 2019.
Maybe she's born with it, maybe it's Maybelline.

Non mihi, non tibi, sed nobis.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

carcinogen

Post by carcinogen »

Carlos J wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 1:45 am
Saints11 wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 10:57 pm I quite like the Masters
So do I. Rory four shots ahead going into the final round in 2011 and getting a triple bogey at the 10th, bogey at the 11th and double bogey at the 12th was simply magnificent viewing.

As was Sergio's win in 2017 and Tiger's in 2019.
TV companies could just set up a camera on Clapham Common and show it live for 4 hours. It's exactly the same as The Masters: men walking around. If you want a commentary by 'Chappers' you'll have to pay extra though.
“Ordinary men hate solitude. But the Master makes use of it, embracing his aloneness, realizing he is one with the whole universe.” ~ Lao Tzu.

"The world needs bad men. We keep the other bad men from the door". ~ RC, True Detective.

JimmyDee

Post by JimmyDee »

My favourite memory of the Masters was Faldo-Norman on the final day of whenever it was. Highlights give no idea of how gripping it was, even for not-particularly golf-fans like me.
Once upon a time you could almost guarantee that whoever was in the lead with 9 holes to go would plummet down the order, ending up 6th, until Tiger Fucking Woods came along and took all the drama out of it. That happened less often in The Open, the other one that used to have all-day coverage free-to-air, on the BBC.
"You don't have a world-view by just saying you hate Trump" - Norm Macdonald

"It seems as if every time I turn the station on at the moment this fucking mouth breather is polluting the airwaves with untrammeled bollocks." - MGA99

subsub

Post by subsub »

JimmyDee wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 10:42 am My favourite memory of the Masters was Faldo-Norman on the final day of whenever it was. Highlights give no idea of how gripping it was, even for not-particularly golf-fans like me.
Once upon a time you could almost guarantee that whoever was in the lead with 9 holes to go would plummet down the order, ending up 6th, until Tiger Fucking Woods came along and took all the drama out of it. That happened less often in The Open, the other one that used to have all-day coverage free-to-air, on the BBC.
Faldo vs Hoch and Faldo vs Floyd both going to playoffs was great TV, too.
Hoch missed a sitter then Faldo holed a monster putt on the next hole to clinch it.
Against Floyd, Faldo got up and down from a bunker then Floyd sent it into the water on the next hole to hand Faldo the title. Faldo had balls of steel in some of those Major victories.
WOKE AND PROUD

JimmyDee

Post by JimmyDee »

carcinogen wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 7:59 pm Shite. Can Tiger walk the course? Can Tiger do this? Can Tiger do that?
Understandable, now that golf is only available to golf-fans willing to pay a subscription. He's the only one most people have heard of nowadays.

You can draw a comparison with boxing and Tyson Fury. When boxing was free on BBC or ITV you knew a bit about non-heavyweights and more that one boxer at that. Tyson Fury's latest Tweet gets more coverage than an actual middleweight title-fight now.
This is always going to be the problem with sports that take the Satellite Dollar, they preach to the converted.

Darts ... they used to play for a thousand pounds in front of a million people who knew who they all were, now they play for a million pounds in front of a thousand people, and no-one else has heard of any of them except for Ladolf Littler and that weird bloke in the Mohican who plays in pyjamas.

They all have to be "characters" now, to get attention from non-fans of the sport. Translation: unpleasant characters. That seems to be the modern PR trick.

"It seems as if every time I turn the station on at the moment this fucking mouth breather is polluting the airwaves with untrammeled bollocks." - MGA99

JimmyDee

Post by JimmyDee »

subsub wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 10:44 am Faldo vs Floyd ... going to playoffs was great TV, too.
Well-remembered.
A great example of the American mind-set. As I recall it, Faldo won the sudden-death play-off and was carried back to the scorers' hut in triumph, and poor old Ray was just left standing there, looking for HIS buggy. "Nah, naff off, nobody", you'll have to walk" :-)
Last edited by JimmyDee on Sat Apr 13, 2024 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

subsub

Post by subsub »

JimmyDee wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 11:11 am
subsub wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 10:44 am Faldo vs Floyd both going to playoffs was great TV, too.
Well-remembered.
A great example of the American mind-set. As I recall it, Faldo won the sudden-death play-off and was carried back to the scorers' hut in triumph, and poor old Ray was just left standing there, looking for HIS buggy. "Nah, naff off, nobody", you'll have to walk" :-)
:lol:
At least it wasn't pissing down like the year before.
WOKE AND PROUD

Carlos J
Forum Admin

Post by Carlos J »

JimmyDee wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 10:42 am My favourite memory of the Masters was Faldo-Norman on the final day of whenever it was. Highlights give no idea of how gripping it was, even for not-particularly golf-fans like me.
That was also great, JD, it was '96. And sadly true comments about the boxing and darts on Sky v better name recognition. You can add cricket to that as well.
Maybe she's born with it, maybe it's Maybelline.

Non mihi, non tibi, sed nobis.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Rowntree

Post by Rowntree »

carcinogen wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 7:59 pm Shite. You know how shite it is when the meeja keep going on about druggie-twat Woods. Can Tiger walk the course? Can Tiger do this? Can Tiger do that? Can Tiger cheat on his wife with the baby-sitter? Can Tiger take enough drugs to kill someone whilst driving? On and on it goes. No one gives a fuck, gettit? Mark 'Chappers' Chapman, paid-up BBC cunt talking in hushed tones about the shubbery and magnolia's of the course. No thanks mate. Ugh, it's vile advertisment of high capitalism. Golf is a fetish. I stand by that. It's weird. I have to give Simon Jordan credit because I heard him say, in so many words: I don't give a fuck about The Masters. Neither do I.
Is there ANYTHING you fucking like?
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 250 character limit.

Jonathan

Post by Jonathan »

The Masters is very much their own tournament and they do what suits best for them. They still restrict live TV coverage and you will notice no one calls the punters fans, they are all patrons. Expect retribution if you call anyone a fan.

All set up for an exciting final round. Hard to see beyond Scheffler but Augusta can bite you on the arse very easily.

JimmyDee

Post by JimmyDee »

Jonathan wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 9:11 am ... Augusta can bite you on the arse very easily.
When even seasoned commentators say the greens are fast this year then it must be like putting on glass :-)
I've seen players putting AWAY from the hole before now, using a slight slope, because that's the best option.

JimmyDee

Post by JimmyDee »

Off at a tangent ... and just listening to it on 5Live Extra ... I never heard one shout of "Get in the hole!" Thankfully.

Has it finally dawned on them that they sound like cunts when they do that? The tee-shot on a par-five? :-)