Talkforum favourite cold case/crime thread.

In-depth debate on all topical issues
Dinger

Re: Talkforum favourite cold case/crime thread.

Post by Dinger »

Robert Heenan wrote:FAO Carlos and anyone interested

I read about the Zodiac killer on the crime library website and read loads on it but this is about 1998 when I read extensively about it. I haven't followed the case since then but just as Lord Lucan and as Mr Royals24 alluded to Jack the Ripper... Every now and then there is some book out or news about who the killer really was.

Some years back I heard about the young mother who escaped from the Zodiac killer with her baby girl, died. Miraculously the baby girl didn't cry when they were hiding from the killer in close proximity.

No idea as to who the zodiac killer was. I believe he was an educated man and although many believe it was possibly the unabomber - Ted Kaczynski... I'm not sure as I've not looked into it though the taunting letters to police and journalists and notes is eerily similar although the zodiac killers letters were more cryptic. The physical similarities between the unabomber and the zodiac killer seems similar and the unabomber lived around the area where the first zodiac killer murders took place in the late 1960s.

I watched an FBI Files one hour special on the Unabomber which was fascinating.

Unfortunately the shows you have wasted your time on were MSM bullshit. Well done for being taken in.
Who goads the goaders?

Royal24s

Post by Royal24s »

Dinger wrote:
Robert Heenan wrote:FAO Carlos and anyone interested

I read about the Zodiac killer on the crime library website and read loads on it but this is about 1998 when I read extensively about it. I haven't followed the case since then but just as Lord Lucan and as Mr Royals24 alluded to Jack the Ripper... Every now and then there is some book out or news about who the killer really was.

Some years back I heard about the young mother who escaped from the Zodiac killer with her baby girl, died. Miraculously the baby girl didn't cry when they were hiding from the killer in close proximity.

No idea as to who the zodiac killer was. I believe he was an educated man and although many believe it was possibly the unabomber - Ted Kaczynski... I'm not sure as I've not looked into it though the taunting letters to police and journalists and notes is eerily similar although the zodiac killers letters were more cryptic. The physical similarities between the unabomber and the zodiac killer seems similar and the unabomber lived around the area where the first zodiac killer murders took place in the late 1960s.

I watched an FBI Files one hour special on the Unabomber which was fascinating.

Unfortunately the shows you have wasted your time on were MSM bullshit. Well done for being taken in.

Do you know something we don't on these matters then my friend ?
'"Beauty is truth, truth beauty,
That is all ye know on earth, and all ye need to know".

Royal24s

Post by Royal24s »

Although in the other thread you posted a clip which you obviously believed but was quickly debunked and would have never been taken seriously by anyone with an o level in history.

Robert Heenan
Winner - TOTY 2011!!!!

Post by Robert Heenan »

List of suspects who could possibly have been the Zodiac Killer

http://www.zodiackiller.com/Suspects.html

Royal24s

Post by Royal24s »

I'm surprised the BBC and CNN haven't suggested that Donald Trump did it

Royal24s

Post by Royal24s »

Or maybe Vladimir Putin

Robert Heenan
Winner - TOTY 2011!!!!

Post by Robert Heenan »

I like it when cold case murders are solved... Especially when the victims are kids

Melanie's murderer caught after 32 years. Not an ounce of remorse, guilt or conscience

Royal24s

Post by Royal24s »

I wonder whether the death of Lady Lucan today might shake loose the truth about his whereabouts.
Pretty sure he was quietly done away with by his friends when he got too hot to handle and disposed of in the Essex Marshes, but equally sure she knew the truth if it.

Carlos J
Forum Admin

Post by Carlos J »

Having a random Mr Wiki and youtube session seeing where it would go and got to Elisa Lam. Never heard of her before and her daeth in the Cecil Hotel, LA (which has an interesting history) in 2013. Still reading up and watching: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_of_Elisa_Lam The lift video is disturbing/interesting:

For the non-murdered version it seems, yes she had Bi-Polar and maybe having an episode, but really the strength to open the water tank and replace the lid? Not for me, Beeky.

Anyone heard or knows more?
Maybe she's born with it, maybe it's Maybelline.

Non mihi, non tibi, sed nobis.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Royal24s

Post by Royal24s »

Whilst I wouldn't personally write off the possibility of possession , ( cause that's the first impression I got looking at the film), I don't think we can classify it like that.
Looks to me as if the poor lady was nuts and found mischief in her episode that night.
Can't dismiss the outside possibility of some foul play , but I tend to doubt it.

Mind you, I do always think there's a cumulative bad atmosphere in LA of the sort suggested in that piece about the hotel. It's a strange place where everyone comes from somewhere else and they say everyone's got a suitcase packed in case they have to leave. Lot of human turmoil and dirty energy there, but again, it doesn't add up to anything you could properly attach to this case.

Carlos J
Forum Admin

Post by Carlos J »

The lift fucking up can be ascribed to her pressing all buttons and a short term lock button. Then she did a button rampage again. Elevator game is nonsense as she was preesing random buttons: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elevator_game As it did eventually close when she was outside far enough from the door.

An episode of her Bi-Polar seems likely in the lift, over possession and AN Other being there. But that's the known/unknown.

How did she get up to the top of the watertank, strip and get in and then close the lid? Via the fire exits? Psychotic disorders could give the strength, no doubt. How would she know about the tanks? How would a perp bar local know about the tanks? Once on the roof, other suicide methods are easier and quicker? Mentions of meeting people from the internet. All ponderers plod would have covered as not read any more,but now going to to do and err watch a few youtubes for backgroud, not research.
Maybe she's born with it, maybe it's Maybelline.

Non mihi, non tibi, sed nobis.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Basualdo
Winner - POTY 2011!!!!

Post by Basualdo »

Going from dubious memory I think that there where no locks on the roof access and I don't think the metal sheet was either securely back in place, particularly heavy or both. It was quite common for them to have to fish pigeons out from the tank in the past.
I might be wrong on both points as I have not read about Elisa Lam in ages but I do remember reading something on Reddit that seemed to explain all points of it quite fully as a severe bipolar episode. The lift video just made it creepier than it may have been. Also remember that the only found the body after guests complained of their water "tasting funny".
Proud Gammon

RIP Neil Peart 1952-2020.

Royal24s

Post by Royal24s »

Carlos J wrote:The lift fucking up can be ascribed to her pressing all buttons and a short term lock button. Then she did a button rampage again. Elevator game is nonsense as she was preesing random buttons: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elevator_game As it did eventually close when she was outside far enough from the door.

An episode of her Bi-Polar seems likely in the lift, over possession and AN Other being there. But that's the known/unknown.

How did she get up to the top of the watertank, strip and get in and then close the lid? Via the fire exits? Psychotic disorders could give the strength, no doubt. How would she know about the tanks? How would a perp bar local know about the tanks? Once on the roof, other suicide methods are easier and quicker? Mentions of meeting people from the internet. All ponderers plod would have covered as not read any more,but now going to to do and err watch a few youtubes for backgroud, not research.

See, in real terms you'd be very surprised at what nutters will do. There's frequently no sense whatever that you could relate to and since they weren't even planning it themselves they might go through a series of unlikely random stages before ending up in that final one.
As far as we know she might have regularly gone nosing round maintain maintainance areas and climbing into various boxes cupboards and tanks , but up till that particular night nothing of note happened. I recall a man who got into a food processing plant over the weekend and fed himself into an MRM machine, which if you don't know is a horrible bloody thing which grinds and minced meat into a kind of fine paste for hot dogs and things.

There's always going to be some element of doubt in cases like that, but what you're looking for before you can start calling it murder is some evidencial fact which proves the involvement of a third party. That's why the LAPD took so long to call it - because you'd investigate it four ways from Friday and look at forensics and PM reports before making a decision. It's unlikely that such a process , which is quite painstaking, would fail to find at least one "indicator" of the sort I've mentioned there, but of course it's possible .
I've had cases where I couldn't support a gut feeling despite all this and yet had to write it off for lack of evidence. In one of them, which had been written off as an accident two years previously a man walked into a police station in central London asking to see me and confessed to killing the victim. He'd gone on the run two years earlier after I called to see him about the original incident and he'd been convinced in his own mind that we had some evidence , which we didn't as I said, but just by the by, I always was convinced it was him.

shabbado

Post by shabbado »

Gareth Williams.

The British 'Spy' found in a zipped up bag that had been padlocked from the outside.
A joyless arsehole.

Royal24s

Post by Royal24s »

shabbado wrote:Gareth Williams.

The British 'Spy' found in a zipped up bag that had been padlocked from the outside.

Yeah, good point, and I was actually thinking of that, but didn't mention it because I've heard informed gossip that there was actually a lot more to that one so I changed my mind about giving it as an example.