Sectarianism

In-depth debate on all topical issues
Hillman avenger

Sectarianism

Post by Hillman avenger »

I am currently in a village called Dalmellington, which is outside Ayr and about 20 miles SW of Glasgow.

I was looking at the village page on Facebook and wasn't surprised to find there a pretty active Rangers fan club.

What concerned me, though, was an item which showed the recently-appointed, Portuguese, manager of the club allegedly leaving an Orange Lodge meeting, and wearing a ceremonial sash.

Sure it could have been photo-shopped.

But if it hasn't been, it raises questions for me...is this stuff still so important up here? How much would a manager from another country understand what he was doing? Was he told it was a duty of the job?
Listen to Talksport and let it be a lesson to you

carcinogen

Re: Sectarianism

Post by carcinogen »

Hillman avenger wrote: How much would a manager from another country understand what he was doing? Was he told it was a duty of the job?

Reminds me of Mr. Gazza...

“Ordinary men hate solitude. But the Master makes use of it, embracing his aloneness, realizing he is one with the whole universe.” ~ Lao Tzu.

"The world needs bad men. We keep the other bad men from the door". ~ RC, True Detective.

Roddy

Post by Roddy »

Hillman avenger wrote:I am currently in a village called Dalmellington, which is outside Ayr and about 20 miles SW of Glasgow.

I was looking at the village page on Facebook and wasn't surprised to find there a pretty active Rangers fan club.

What concerned me, though, was an item which showed the recently-appointed, Portuguese, manager of the club allegedly leaving an Orange Lodge meeting, and wearing a ceremonial sash.

But if it hasn't been, it raises questions for me...is this stuff still so important up here? How much would a manager from another country understand what he was doing? Was he told it was a duty of the job?

So you where not surprised that Scottish people support a Scottish team and you where concerned that a man not born in Scotland may or may not have be in an international organization before setting foot in Scotland so why have you named thread "Sectarianism"?
You can only live in the world you know.The rest is just wishful thinking or paranoia.

"We shall not go to Canossa!"

Hillman avenger

Post by Hillman avenger »

No, not surprised that Scottish people support a Scottish team.
No problem.
But my question is, is sectarianism still so strong that somebody coming in from another country has to comply with the need to demonstrate allegiance to an organisation as outdated and nasty, for him to be accepted by fans of the club?
Listen to Talksport and let it be a lesson to you

Roddy

Post by Roddy »

Hillman avenger wrote:I am currently in a village called Dalmellington, which is outside Ayr and about 20 miles SW of Glasgow.

You can only live in the world you know.The rest is just wishful thinking or paranoia.

Roddy

Post by Roddy »

Roddy wrote:

Roddy

Post by Roddy »

Roddy wrote:
Roddy wrote:

There's your answer.

The Tick

Post by The Tick »

All this sash and marching bollocks. It's just an excuse to go out in fancy dress, get drunk and start fights with people.

kooster

Post by kooster »

Lets stop trying to force people to live in harmony.... sometimes they are better kept apart....