Post Brexit - part 21

In-depth debate on all topical issues
The Tick

Re: Post Brexit - part 21

Post by The Tick »

In the meantime, more winning...

https://inews.co.uk/news/world/hoped-pe ... TO=newsnow

Brexit ruined my dream of enjoying £95k-a-year pension in European tax haven
Jason Andersen, a 70-year-old ex-broker, says he 'felt like the world collapsed' when he realised the UK was excluded from low tax rates

birdie

Post by birdie »

I think the point is, why would British people living in a EU country other than the UK, maybe relying on reciprocal arrangements regarding medical treatment and other benefits of living in a bloc such as the EU, vote to leave that bloc most likely knowing that some of the benefits would be limited if not unavailable altogether.

As to those living in the UK because the UK was a member of the Eu, iI don't agree, the only people living in the UK because of being a member of the EU are those from other member states who were entitled to come under freedom of movement rules.
We live in the UK because we were either born here or have settled status or nationality status, beggar all to do with being a member of the EU.
If the London Borough of Barnet isn't in London where is it?

I'll say soccer whenever I want to soccer soccer soccer soccer bloody soccer
Sent from my Advent Monza S200 so bloody old I can't remember when I bought it

chelseachelsea

Post by chelseachelsea »

The Tick wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 2:43 pm In the meantime, more winning...

https://inews.co.uk/news/world/hoped-pe ... TO=newsnow

Brexit ruined my dream of enjoying £95k-a-year pension in European tax haven
Jason Andersen, a 70-year-old ex-broker, says he 'felt like the world collapsed' when he realised the UK was excluded from low tax rates
I'm sure he'll survive and won't be using foodbanks anytime soon.

The Tick

Post by The Tick »

Great advert for brexit, that... we'll survive it. :lol:

Sunbeam Alpine

Post by Sunbeam Alpine »

birdie wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 2:48 pm I think the point is, why would British people living in a EU country other than the UK, maybe relying on reciprocal arrangements regarding medical treatment and other benefits of living in a bloc such as the EU, vote to leave that bloc most likely knowing that some of the benefits would be limited if not unavailable altogether.

As to those living in the UK because the UK was a member of the Eu, iI don't agree, the only people living in the UK because of being a member of the EU are those from other member states who were entitled to come under freedom of movement rules.
We live in the UK because we were either born here or have settled status or nationality status, beggar all to do with being a member of the EU.
It's beyond me too why they would have voted Leave, but many did.
Maybe it's a symptom of that shallow nationalism that often affects Brits abroad.
You know, the Sunday roast and fry-ups that they probably didn't bother with at home

Vespa

Post by Vespa »

Sunbeam Alpine wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 5:03 pm
birdie wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 2:48 pm I think the point is, why would British people living in a EU country other than the UK, maybe relying on reciprocal arrangements regarding medical treatment and other benefits of living in a bloc such as the EU, vote to leave that bloc most likely knowing that some of the benefits would be limited if not unavailable altogether.

It's beyond me too why they would have voted Leave, but many did.
Maybe it's a symptom of that shallow nationalism that often affects Brits abroad.
You know, the Sunday roast and fry-ups that they probably didn't bother with at home
The irony being that immigration of EU citizens was a big issue and the pro-leave campaign said they'd have better control once outside. If you were living in France and voted to leave you are a moron.

Salem

Post by Salem »

Vespa wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 2:07 pm
Salem wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 1:25 pm
Vespa wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 1:17 pm
Salem wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 1:10 pm
subsub wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 9:45 pm
Vespa wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 9:00 pm You've got to be very very dumb to vote Brexit whilst living in an EU country.
Indeed. It's almost as if they didn't have a clue what they were voting for :rolleyes:
So , let me get this straight .

Anyone who voted for Brexit is dumb ?
I didn't say that. I said if you were living in a country based on your membership of the EU you have to be very very dumb to vote to leave the EU.
Yes you did . After all , we WERE living in a country based on a membership of the EU and we voted not to be members anymore . Ergo as we voted to leave , by your logic , we must be dumb

To be fair , my question was aimed more on Mr Pile-on himself , as he inferred his usual tripe of not knowing what we voted for .
If that's how you want to read it feel free. I'll add you to my block list.
Seriously :lol:

Perhaps if you'd bothered fucking voting in the referendum along with the swathes of others who couldn't be arsed , the outcome may have been different . Yet you constantly bleat about the subject .

Have a fucking word with yourself . Now block that :finga:
"There was one victim"

MAGA...........'mon the Don 24 😎

Whispering Grass, don't tell the trees
'Cause the trees don't need to know .....

rorymac

Post by rorymac »

I used to rent an eco pod for a few nights here and there out in the sticks .. run by a nice fella, used to have good chats with him. He relied on an EU grant to keep the place profitable, voted for Brexit and had to sell up when the grant was kaput. Place is an overgrown shambles now with nothing there at all. Folks aint all there is my motto .. what can you do !

<rocks back and forth> :box:

birdie

Post by birdie »

The turnout on the Brexit vote was 72.2%, the turnout at the last GE was 67.3%, itself an increase on the 2015 turnout, so unless voting is made compulsory it wasn't really too bad.

Vespa

Post by Vespa »

birdie wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 6:35 pm The turnout on the Brexit vote was 72.2%, the turnout at the last GE was 67.3%, itself an increase on the 2015 turnout, so unless voting is made compulsory it wasn't really too bad.
Not sure this government would make voting compulsory, be interesting to see if a possible Labour government would.

Salem

Post by Salem »

birdie wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 6:35 pm The turnout on the Brexit vote was 72.2%, the turnout at the last GE was 67.3%, itself an increase on the 2015 turnout, so unless voting is made compulsory it wasn't really too bad.
Can't argue with that Birdie . It was an exceptionally high turn out for a referendum. It's just strange that one of the main detractors of Brexit on this page never bothered to vote :?
"There was one victim"

MAGA...........'mon the Don 24 😎

Whispering Grass, don't tell the trees
'Cause the trees don't need to know .....

birdie

Post by birdie »

I stand to be corrected of course, but I seem to recall some Labour bod saying that the voting age should be brought down to 16. Now, THAT would throw up0 some interesting results, were the kids, still at school and not old enough to even buy a pint, be arsed to turn out.

subsub

Post by subsub »

Salem wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 1:25 pm
Vespa wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 1:17 pm
Salem wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 1:10 pm
subsub wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 9:45 pm
Vespa wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 9:00 pm You've got to be very very dumb to vote Brexit whilst living in an EU country.
Indeed. It's almost as if they didn't have a clue what they were voting for :rolleyes:
So , let me get this straight .

Anyone who voted for Brexit is dumb ?
I didn't say that. I said if you were living in a country based on your membership of the EU you have to be very very dumb to vote to leave the EU.
Yes you did . After all , we WERE living in a country based on a membership of the EU and we voted not to be members anymore . Ergo as we voted to leave , by your logic , we must be dumb

To be fair , my question was aimed more on Mr Pile-on himself , as he inferred his usual tripe of not knowing what we voted for .
I don't think many Leave voters had a clue what they were voting for.
WOKE AND PROUD

Vespa

Post by Vespa »

birdie wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 7:11 pm I stand to be corrected of course, but I seem to recall some Labour bod saying that the voting age should be brought down to 16. Now, THAT would throw up0 some interesting results, were the kids, still at school and not old enough to even buy a pint, be arsed to turn out.
Given you can join the military at 16 I can't see the issue. Although to best reform to the election system would be PR. Parties like Reform and the Greens would get into Parliament. Can't see either of the big two wanting that.

The Tick

Post by The Tick »

subsub wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 7:18 pm
I don't think many Leave voters had a clue what they were voting for.
They weren't voting for anything.

They were voting against foreigners being on British soil. They were voting against a perceived domination from foreign politicians. They were voting against liberal, progressive ideas. They were voting against anything perceived to be "woke". They were voting against one legged black muslim lesbian single mothers who support Sadiq Khan and the covid vaccine etc.