The current state of commentary and punditry

Anything sportlike
carcinogen

The current state of commentary and punditry

Post by carcinogen »

The current state of commentary and punditry.

Got to be at its lowest ebb. The BBC drives me mad, they feel the need to be 'inclusive' by having Alex Scott, yet they also have Lineker and Shearer, two of the dullest white men ever to exist, and on a massive salary. Meanwhile on Sky we have Neville and The Spitter, surely there can be better. Not sure who is on TNT ... The Kris Akabusi of pundit? That black fellow who keeps laughing for no reason. It's DIRE.

Can we come up with some replacements for these cunts? I know you guize ... you're going to say 'Fred West', but I'm serious ... who the fuck can be something close to Barry Davies, anyone?
“Ordinary men hate solitude. But the Master makes use of it, embracing his aloneness, realizing he is one with the whole universe.” ~ Lao Tzu.

"The world needs bad men. We keep the other bad men from the door". ~ RC, True Detective.

finchman

Re: The current state of commentary and punditry

Post by finchman »

Drury the Sky commentator who has taken over from Tyler is appalling.
Joel,Boyce,Alcaraz,Scharner,Espinoza,McCarthy,McArthur,Gomez,(Watson),McManaman,Maloney,Kone,...LEGENDS!

antdad

Post by antdad »

Picking at an open sore for me. Punditry you don't have to engage with, less so with commentary especially the radio. I can't remember the last time I've sat through a post game TV analysis even for my own side because most of the time I just want to punch the likes of Chapman in the face.

If you've ever synced the two (TV with radio coms) I've often thought, this isn't what's going on,wtf?!

Ok I appreciate with radio they have to paint the picture and I'm looking at a slightly different one but still far too excitable, never thought I'd regret the likes of Igham retiring but John Murray is for me unlistenable.

Stuart Pearce is a surprisingly calming and rational influence whenever I listened, maybe because he's a qualified ref so hope he's around for the Euros but not if he's paired with Spatterface. Proudfoot has a nice easy going style without feeling you're watching a frigging orgy continually edging towards a climax. Usually I turn TV commentary off.

JimmyDee

Post by JimmyDee »

I remember when Barry Davies and Brian Moore did the commentary all on their own, and the only pundits on show were during the World Cup, at half-time.
I can't help but feel we lost something in the meantime, with everything blown-up into one controversy or another.
"The Big Match Revisited" is an oasis of calm, compared to what we get now.
"You don't have a world-view by just saying you hate Trump" - Norm Macdonald

"It seems as if every time I turn the station on at the moment this fucking mouth breather is polluting the airwaves with untrammeled bollocks." - MGA99

EddieCheddar

Post by EddieCheddar »

finchman wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 7:48 am Drury the Sky commentator who has taken over from Tyler is appalling.
:dart:

Boils my piss. Pre rehearsed, Adrian Mole bollocks.Total gobshite. Not you, Finch, Drury.

The Ghost of Alex Higgins
No longer the Bridesmaid

Post by The Ghost of Alex Higgins »

antdad wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 9:27 amProudfoot has a nice easy going style
Are you back on meth? Biggles piercing resonant shriek is a psyop designed to finish us
MAKING TALKFORUM GREAT AGAIN

Carlos J
Forum Admin

Post by Carlos J »

antdad wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 9:27 am [...]
Stuart Pearce is a surprisingly calming and rational influence whenever I listened, maybe because he's a qualified ref so hope he's around for the Euros but not if he's paired with Spatterface. Proudfoot has a nice easy going style without feeling you're watching a frigging orgy continually edging towards a climax. Usually I turn TV commentary off.
Agree about Pearce, so hopefully he's on England duty again and not with Matterface as he has ITV as well.
Maybe she's born with it, maybe it's Maybelline.

Non mihi, non tibi, sed nobis.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

JW90

Post by JW90 »

Drury, Weaver and Matterface are all atrocious.

antdad

Post by antdad »

The Ghost of Alex Higgins wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 3:16 pm
antdad wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 9:27 amProudfoot has a nice easy going style
Are you back on meth? Biggles piercing resonant shriek is a psyop designed to finish us
Nah, Proodfoot has a range of less than one octave. He'll increase volume but he's no shrieker.

lambrini

Post by lambrini »

Many female commentators suffer from the dreaded vocal fry. Goodness knows why they believe it makes them sound good. It's terrible.
( ◡‿◡ )
POTY 2023 & 2022 finalist
“Cod philosopher” –Antdad
“The forum's saucy upstart” –Ghost
“Solid broess” –Sadact7

subsub

Post by subsub »

lambrini wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 6:19 pm Many female commentators suffer from the dreaded vocal fry. Goodness knows why they believe it makes them sound good. It's terrible.
Not just commentators, you hear it everywhere now.
Shrieks "impressionable".
WOKE AND PROUD

lambrini

Post by lambrini »

subsub wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 6:32 pm
lambrini wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 6:19 pm Many female commentators suffer from the dreaded vocal fry. Goodness knows why they believe it makes them sound good. It's terrible.
Not just commentators, you hear it everywhere now.
Shrieks "impressionable".
+1

Everywhere. It's such a shame women no longer aspire to have beautiful, feminine voice that English women are known for (examples: Celia Johnson, Sylvia Syms, Sophie Winkleman.)
( ◡‿◡ )
POTY 2023 & 2022 finalist
“Cod philosopher” –Antdad
“The forum's saucy upstart” –Ghost
“Solid broess” –Sadact7

Saints11

Post by Saints11 »

Matterface yesterday at some point said "Onana has faced more shorts than a student union bartender"

Wanker
mentioning other members is not allowed in signatures

Sadact7

Post by Sadact7 »

Saints11 wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 9:28 am Matterface yesterday at some point said "Onana has faced more shorts than a student union bartender"

Wanker
And the tragic thing is, yesterday he didn’t. But Matterface had pre-prepared that quip and was presumably desperate to crowbar it in.

The best thing, by a mile, about Amazon’s coverage is the ability to turn off comms and just have stadium noise.

If I wanted to hear nerds talking shite in the company of remedials I’d just go down my local to watch it.
Oh Five - Oh Two - Twenty Four

In a bit Foam Moe

JW90

Post by JW90 »

The Sky play off trio are truly awful.