State Broadcaster goes after Elderly poor

In-depth debate on all topical issues
birdie

Re: State Broadcaster goes after Elderly poor

Post by birdie »

Jon Gout wrote:I do have relatives over 75 but it doesn't matter what their opinion is. I don't remember hearing of any over 75s being told to ask the opinions of disabled people who have been the victims of several real, life-changing cuts over the last nine years.

Sorry, that answer is no answer, have you asked them if they would welcome having to fill in a very intrusive form detailing every possible penny they have in all bank accounts they may have, building society accounts and even how many Premium Bonds they own to ascertain if they qualify for pension credits so that they may be eligible for a free TV licence, and if not, would they welcome the opportunity to pay for something they have enjoyed for free for several years.
If the London Borough of Barnet isn't in London where is it?

I'll say soccer whenever I want to soccer soccer soccer soccer bloody soccer
Sent from my Advent Monza S200 so bloody old I can't remember when I bought it

birdie

Post by birdie »

The cost of the licence fee has been debated for years, I seem to remember that when the BBC wanted to increase it vby some daft amount they were told by whichever government was in at the time that what they wanted was out of order and disproportionate but it was granted an increase on the proviso that it didn't increase it for a number of years, the high salaries were quoted as one reason for the refusal to grant a higher increase but the BBC refused to publish the salaries saying it was contractural confidentiality, but eventually had to give in and it became known that, although some presenters were employed exclusively by the BBC they weren't really employed at all but employed by service companies of which the presenter was the only client, enabling them to dodge a whole load of tax.

Royal24s

Post by Royal24s »

Zambo wrote:
Jon Gout wrote:I do have relatives over 75 but it doesn't matter what their opinion is. I don't remember hearing of any over 75s being told to ask the opinions of disabled people who have been the victims of several real, life-changing cuts over the last nine years.

What's the BBC got to do with that, and why should over 75s be asked that question anyway?

I'm surprised to hear, that you don't think your elderly relatives opinion matters either.

I'm not at all surprised to hear that. I share your mystification though as to why elderly people are somehow responsible for government cuts for disabled people though.
'"Beauty is truth, truth beauty,
That is all ye know on earth, and all ye need to know".

Ralph
Forum Admin

Re: State Broadcaster goes after Elderly p

Post by Ralph »

birdie wrote:

Sorry, that answer is no answer, have you asked them if they would welcome having to fill in a very intrusive form detailing every possible penny they have in all bank accounts they may have, building society accounts and even how many Premium Bonds they own to ascertain if they qualify for pension credits so that they may be eligible for a free TV licence, and if not, would they welcome the opportunity to pay for something they have enjoyed for free for several years.

Since Gordon Brown introduced the free television licenses. Something for the over 75s to think about at the next General Election.

Jon Gout

Post by Jon Gout »

Zambo wrote:What's the BBC got to do with that, and why should over 75s be asked that question anyway?

I'm surprised to hear, that you don't think your elderly relatives opinion matters either.
Because they're almost all Tory voters.

Why should it? I don't have any relatives who use food banks but that doesn't mean I don't think it's fucking disgusting that people do need to use them. It's not asking someone to look at something logically if you want them to have an emotional investment in a situation and be swayed by it.

If spending a bit of time filling in a form (although can't you do it over the phone now?) isn't worth the saving of £150 a year then that's their problem. What's intrusive about it? It's only the same kind of questions as applying for a mortgage or something. I thought they were supposed to be a tough generation who could handle anything? Can't be that tough if they stumble over a form.

Royal24s

Post by Royal24s »

birdie wrote:The cost of the licence fee has been debated for years, I seem to remember that when the BBC wanted to increase it vby some daft amount they were told by whichever government was in at the time that what they wanted was out of order and disproportionate but it was granted an increase on the proviso that it didn't increase it for a number of years, the high salaries were quoted as one reason for the refusal to grant a higher increase but the BBC refused to publish the salaries saying it was contractural confidentiality, but eventually had to give in and it became known that, although some presenters were employed exclusively by the BBC they weren't really employed at all but employed by service companies of which the presenter was the only client, enabling them to dodge a whole load of tax.

I think the bottom line of that is that politicians aren't going to stop funding them voluntarily because the truth is that he who pays the piper calls the tune and ultimately the BBC is often vital to them in colouring public perceptions of the news and politics .

Royal24s

Re: State Broadcaster goes after Elderly p

Post by Royal24s »

Ralph wrote:
birdie wrote:

Since Gordon Brown introduced the free television licenses. Something for the over 75s to think about at the next General Election.

Is Gordon Brown standing in the next election then ? He'd be better than Corby I suppose , but I can't see Labour doing well either way with all the new referrendum stuff and anti semitism.

Zambo

Post by Zambo »

Jon Gout wrote:
Zambo wrote:What's the BBC got to do with that, and why should over 75s be asked that question anyway?

Why should it? I don't have any relatives who use food banks but that doesn't mean I don't think it's fucking disgusting that people do need to use them. It's not asking someone to look at something logically if you want them to have an emotional investment in a situation and be swayed by it.

If spending a bit of time filling in a form (although can't you do it over the phone now?) isn't worth the saving of £150 a year then that's their problem. What's intrusive about it? It's only the same kind of questions as applying for a mortgage or something. I thought they were supposed to be a tough generation who could handle anything? Can't be that tough if they stumble over a form.

Was that in response to Birdie's post. If not I don't have clue what you are on about. You appear to be bringing into the discussion all sorts of irrelevance. This is about the cunts at the BBC using the oldies to shore up their finances, when they have got bags of alternatives.

For shame.
When your heart is blue, there is nothing you can do. Keep Right On

birdie

Post by birdie »

Royal24s wrote:
birdie wrote:The cost of the licence fee has been debated for years, I seem to remember that when the BBC wanted to increase it vby some daft amount they were told by whichever government was in at the time that what they wanted was out of order and disproportionate but it was granted an increase on the proviso that it didn't increase it for a number of years, the high salaries were quoted as one reason for the refusal to grant a higher increase but the BBC refused to publish the salaries saying it was contractural confidentiality, but eventually had to give in and it became known that, although some presenters were employed exclusively by the BBC they weren't really employed at all but employed by service companies of which the presenter was the only client, enabling them to dodge a whole load of tax.

I think the bottom line of that is that politicians aren't going to stop funding them voluntarily because the truth is that he who pays the piper calls the tune and ultimately the BBC is often vital to them in colouring public perceptions of the news and politics .

Well, the BBC is definitely pro remain, (in the EU), anyone of the opposite view is treated like they have the pox.
Whatever happened to impartiality?

Jon Gout

Post by Jon Gout »

Zambo wrote:
Jon Gout wrote:

Was that in response to Birdie's post. If not I don't have clue what you are on about. You appear to be bringing into the discussion all sorts of irrelevance. This is about the cunts at the BBC using the oldies to shore up their finances, when they have got bags of alternatives.

For shame.

Both of you.

I agree the BBC could make big savings, but I would want the result of that to be a much cheaper licence fee for all. Not free for some and not for others.

Jon Gout

Post by Jon Gout »

Everyone thinks the BBC is impartial in a way that is against their own views. That probably shows that it is probably mostly impartial. Remainers often say it's impartial when they see Farage popping up every five minutes.

Their idea of "balance" is insane though, but thankfully they seem to be stepping away from that. E.g. whenever they'd get a science denying nutter on.

birdie

Post by birdie »

Jon Gout wrote:

Really, I'm beginning to despair, are you really so blinkered?
Many old people find form just a tad difficult, often have bad eyesight so have to rely on friends or others to help them and may not wish those people to know all their financial dealings, they are not, on the whole applying for a mortgage so why bring that point in?
As to doing it over the phone, again, what a load of bollocks, again, many old people find trying to do something like that over the phone intimidating, again, they often are hearing impaired which makes that difficult and they would have to have all the relevant information ready to hand, and nine time out of then they will be asked for some information which they hadn't anticipated so will have to find that information and start all over again another day.
As to being a tough generation so should be able to handle filling out a form, HOW FUCKING INSULTING AND LOW, EVEN FOR YOU.

Jon Gout

Post by Jon Gout »

Maybe if they hadn't kept voting for Tory cuts there'd plenty of service available to help them with that. Carers wouldn't just pop round for five minutes at a time. Oh well, it's what they wanted. Turkeys voting for Christmas.

birdie

Post by birdie »

[quote="Jon Gout"]Maybe if they hadn't kept voting for Tory cuts there'd plenty of service available to help them with that. Carers wouldn't just pop round for five minutes at a time. Oh well, it's what they wanted. Turkeys voting for Christmas.[/quote

I wasn't aware that anyone apart from MP's COULD vote for any measure any government took.

Ralph
Forum Admin

Post by Ralph »

Jon Gout wrote:Maybe if they hadn't kept voting for Tory cuts there'd plenty of service available to help them with that. Carers wouldn't just pop round for five minutes at a time. Oh well, it's what they wanted. Turkeys voting for Christmas.

Free bus passes next on the chopping block.