Your Mental Condition

Friendly chat, will be moderated if necessary.
kancutlawns

Your Mental Condition

Post by kancutlawns »

Losing my memory a little and struggle with memorising lists. Good at analysis and pedantic nit picking. Can engage in decent conversation, but I'm a creature of comfort and feel equally comfortable with sort succinct soundbites and long, waffly monologues depending on mood.

Remember names and random trivia from ages and ages ago. Don't read as many books as I'd like but feel I'm a font of all knowledge about history, politics, culture, trivia, sport, travel, technology, food and music. More cynical as a person and if I can find a reason to argue with someone, I may do but other times, I'm pretty blasé and laid back. I like to think I'm well educated and battle hardened but am prone to throwing my toys out of the pram.

Love problem solving though and have strong concentration. Love using big words and an analyst. Terrified about dementia.

Shit, why did I start this thread?
Last edited by kancutlawns on Fri Jan 27, 2017 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

delboy1983

Re: Your Mental Condition

Post by delboy1983 »

I'd rather not !!!
We're just two lost souls
Swimming in a fish bowl
Year after year

Steve Hunt
Winner POTY - 2010 !!!!

Post by Steve Hunt »

I think mental condition is intrinsically linked to physical condition.

When I am pain free, I'm still as sharp as a knife.

When (as is usual these days) I'm suffering with something, I just get by going through the motions.

kancutlawns

Post by kancutlawns »

It's probably down to your mood, Steve. January's a horrible month and I feel a little lethargic sometimes and prone to rudimentary loss of concentration. Sharp at a tack with work, kids, etc. Dopey at home and here. Don't do detail that well and prefer overarching things and prefer others to do detail.

warmleatherette

Post by warmleatherette »

Frogs and boxes...
Brilliantly Honest

Steve Hunt
Winner POTY - 2010 !!!!

Post by Steve Hunt »

warmleatherette wrote:Frogs and boxes...

carcinogen

Post by carcinogen »

Steve Hunt wrote:I think mental condition is intrinsically linked to physical condition.
I agree. Regular moderate exercise combined with a well-balanced diet is an excellent foundation for good mental health. It also compliments and aids a few other important regulators including sleeping and love-making (preferably to someone you care about rather than some slut you've swiped on Tinder).

It's funny, TalkSport promotes all the things guaranteed to hinder mental well-being such as problem gambling, drinking to excess, and throwing complete garbage down your gullet.
“Ordinary men hate solitude. But the Master makes use of it, embracing his aloneness, realizing he is one with the whole universe.” ~ Lao Tzu.

"The world needs bad men. We keep the other bad men from the door". ~ RC, True Detective.

kancutlawns

Post by kancutlawns »

Steve Hunt wrote:
warmleatherette wrote:Frogs and boxes...
Umberto Gorge.
Thank you Dougie.
okaaay okaaay, beep beep, papa, mad as a bicycle, I'm just off to Hartlepool to buy a pair a pair of exploding underpants.

kancutlawns

Post by kancutlawns »

There's still clearly a stigma attached to mental wellbeing as evidenced on this very forum as only two of us have been candid about our mental condition. People will happily (and gaily in some instances) disclose that they've shat on the living room carpet, their physical condition, their sexual proclivities and political stance but fuck all coming out about mental WELLBEING. I'm not asking about peoples' psychoses FFS.

The Ghost of Alex Higgins
No longer the Bridesmaid

Post by The Ghost of Alex Higgins »

Iv been across this
MAKING TALKFORUM GREAT AGAIN

Steve Hunt
Winner POTY - 2010 !!!!

Post by Steve Hunt »

kancutlawns wrote:There's still clearly a stigma attached to mental wellbeing as evidenced on this very forum as only two of us have been candid about our mental condition. People will happily (and gaily in some instances) disclose that they've shat on the living room carpet, their physical condition, their sexual proclivities and political stance but fuck all coming out about mental WELLBEING. I'm not asking about peoples' psychoses FFS.

It still has a stigma, I agree.

When my Grandad had a major stroke in the mid 70's (I was 11 or 12), they clearly did not know how to treat stroke victims as well as now. Instead, they locked him up in what can only be described as a Victorian lunatic asylum (Claybury in Chigwell). I remember going to visit him and being utterly terrified of the place and it's inhabitants, many of whom were clearly very troubled and disturbed.

Those memories are forever with me (really, my parents should not have taken me) and I am more worried about becoming mentally iil than getting any other illness/injury.

warmleatherette

Post by warmleatherette »

kancutlawns wrote:There's still clearly a stigma attached to mental wellbeing as evidenced on this very forum as only two of us have been candid about our mental condition. People will happily (and gaily in some instances) disclose that they've shat on the living room carpet, their physical condition, their sexual proclivities and political stance but fuck all coming out about mental WELLBEING. I'm not asking about peoples' psychoses FFS.
I hope you're including me in the candid analysis.
Brilliantly Honest

kancutlawns

Post by kancutlawns »

Steve Hunt wrote:

It still has a stigma, I agree.

When my Grandad had a major stroke in the mid 70's (I was 11 or 12), they clearly did not know how to treat stroke victims as well as now. Instead, they locked him up in what can only be described as a Victorian lunatic asylum (Claybury in Chigwell). I remember going to visit him and being utterly terrified of the place and it's inhabitants, many of whom were clearly very troubled and disturbed.

Those memories are forever with me (really, my parents should not have taken me) and I am more worried about becoming mentally iil than getting any other illness/injury.
Peoples' attitudes to mental illness have probably only changed in the last fifteen odd years Steve. Speaking from experience (not me) a close family relative who must be in his fifties by now was mentally disabled with a brain age of three and was only diagnosed as such when he was about six and it was only at that age that his mother found out that his development was somewhat delayed. He wasn't at the same age of development as other children his age. He was put in a home a long way away and the conditions were pretty basic with no mental stimulation or proper supervision. Just left in front of a TV all day and put to bed.

He then got gradually moved and has a far better level of care now and clearly has been accepted more then he was back in the 1970s. But yes, deteriorating mental health scares me too.

kancutlawns

Post by kancutlawns »

warmleatherette wrote:
I hope you're including me in the candid analysis.
I'm including about 90% of the forum, warm-o. No need to feel left out. :)

delboy1983

Post by delboy1983 »

Deleted
Last edited by delboy1983 on Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We're just two lost souls
Swimming in a fish bowl
Year after year