New words we learned today

Friendly chat, will be moderated if necessary.
Petingo

New words we learned today

Post by Petingo »

I am fed up coming across great words I have never before heard off..in a book, say, or on TV...making a mental note then forgetting clean about them.

Today I came across a new word whilst reading The Enchantress of Florence, by Salman Rushdie.

Parturition........the act of giving birth to offspring
Alex Young, Howard Kendall, Andy King, Timmy Cahill, Dixie Dean and Mike Parry.....we'll never see the likes of them again.

kevin04

Re: New words we learned today

Post by kevin04 »

Not today, but a few weeks ago I was reading a book about the history of the Olympic games and the author continued to write hitherto on every tenth page - it felt like to me - and I had no idea what that word meant ; well, I figured out from the structure of the sentence, but until then I had never even heard that word!

Hitherto - until now or until the point...
Bellend. Rupert Bell fanclub - MEMBER.

Reg

Post by Reg »

kevin04 wrote:Not today, but a few weeks ago I was reading a book about the history of the Olympic games and the author continued to write hitherto on every tenth page - it felt like to me - and I had no idea what that word meant ; well, I figured out from the structure of the sentence, but until then I had never even heard that word!

Really? I can't understand how you could have avoided it for so long - I come across it all the time, and use it myself quite often.
Roy IN!!

kevin04

Post by kevin04 »

Reg wrote:
kevin04 wrote:Not today, but a few weeks ago I was reading a book about the history of the Olympic games and the author continued to write hitherto on every tenth page - it felt like to me - and I had no idea what that word meant ; well, I figured out from the structure of the sentence, but until then I had never even heard that word!

Really? I can't understand how you could have avoided it for so long - I come across it all the time, and use it myself quite often.

No joke, Reg. I only started reading big books a couple of years ago! :) I don't know, just never came across it before. I don't even know how to pronouce it, I'm guessing it ''hit hearth toe"

Reg

Post by Reg »

kevin04 wrote:
Reg wrote:

No joke, Reg. I only started reading big books a couple of years ago! :) I don't know, just never came across it before. I don't even know how to pronouce it, I'm guessing it ''hit hearth toe"

It's pronounced to rhyme with "with er too".

If you look a word up online, most of the results from dictionaries have a little speaker icon and if you press it you can hear the correct pronunciation.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/hitherto

It's always weird when you say a word out loud which you have only ever seen on a page and never heard.

I remember saying the word mitre out loud and pronouncing it completely incorrectly. :o

When I was at school a kid had to read out loud in front of the class and pronounced the word "superbly" as if it rhymed whith Super Fly. :)
Last edited by Reg on Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Roy IN!!

kevin04

Post by kevin04 »

Reg wrote:
kevin04 wrote:
Reg wrote:

If you look a word up online, most of the results from dictionaries have a little speaker icon and if you press it you can hear the correct pronunciation.

It's always weird when you say a word out loud which you have only ever seen on a page and never heard.

I remember saying the word mitre out loud and pronouncing it completely incorrectly. :o

When I was at school a kid had to read out loud in front of the class and pronounced the word "superbly" as if it rhymed whith Super Fly. :)

Mitre? As in the football? I used to pronounce and still do as 'might er' :)

Cheers for the hitherto! I'll try to starting using it as much as I can. :D

Reg

Post by Reg »

kevin04 wrote:
Reg wrote:
kevin04 wrote:
Reg wrote:

Mitre? As in the football? I used to pronounce and still do as 'might er' :)

Cheers for the hitherto! I'll try to starting using it as much as I can. :D

I just added a link as you were replying.

Here it is again, with the pronunciation button...

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/hitherto
Roy IN!!

Petingo

Post by Petingo »

Cathay

As in Cathay Pacific Airlines.

I always half wondered what Cathay meant or where it was.

I found out this evening that Cathay is an old English Language alternative name for China.
Alex Young, Howard Kendall, Andy King, Timmy Cahill, Dixie Dean and Mike Parry.....we'll never see the likes of them again.

VeritasVincit

Post by VeritasVincit »

Isn't Merriam-Webster American?
Can their pronunciation be relied on totally?

Basualdo
Winner - POTY 2011!!!!

Post by Basualdo »

VeritasVincit wrote:Isn't Merriam-Webster American?

NO!
Proud Gammon

RIP Neil Peart 1952-2020.

Reg

Post by Reg »

I checked that their version of this word was correct before advising our Scottish chum. 8)

There are English online dictionaries with pronunciation buttons too.
Roy IN!!

VeritasVincit

Post by VeritasVincit »

Reg wrote:

I checked that their version of this word was correct before advising our Scottish chum. 8)

That word may be, but not all are reliable.
As an example; try 'buoy'.

Reg

Post by Reg »

VeritasVincit wrote:
Reg wrote:

Yes, I know - that's why I said I checked it, and suggested using English dictionaries.
Roy IN!!

Basualdo
Winner - POTY 2011!!!!

Post by Basualdo »

VeritasVincit wrote:
Reg wrote:

I'd be very wary before scheduling a visit down the American route.
Proud Gammon

RIP Neil Peart 1952-2020.

The Ghost of Alex Higgins
No longer the Bridesmaid

Post by The Ghost of Alex Higgins »

Malfeasance
MAKING TALKFORUM GREAT AGAIN