May's future

In-depth debate on all topical issues
Hillman avenger

May's future

Post by Hillman avenger »

She must be wondering what she has done.

Her decision to have an election so as to decimate Labour and get a grip of the Sir Tufton Buftons in her party is looking like a big mistake

She is coming across as wooden, relying too much on the "just trust me" line, and she hadn't bargained for Corbyn actually looking good. The social care issue is making her look shallow, and her claim that the cap would be fixed AFTER the election looks dubious.

This is despite the harm Abbott and McDonnel are doing to Labour's ambitions.

So if she is returned with a majority in the range of 10-15 she will not have achieved her goal and is locked into that situation for 5 years. She then has to lead the Brexit negotiations with the other EU leaders knowing she has weakened her position domestically.

There would be some in her party looking for their chance to knock her over.
Listen to Talksport and let it be a lesson to you

shabbado

Re: May's future

Post by shabbado »

No future
No future
No future for her

No future
No future
No future for her

No future
No future
No future for her
A joyless arsehole.

AlcoholBrazil

Post by AlcoholBrazil »

The election was a breeze in the park for May until she decided to come between a parent and their child's rightful inheritance.
6uild 6ack 6etter .
You will own nothing and be happy.

Ralph
Forum Admin

Post by Ralph »

Hillman avenger wrote:She must be wondering what she has done.

Her decision to have an election so as to decimate Labour and get a grip of the Sir Tufton Buftons in her party is looking like a big mistake

She is coming across as wooden, relying too much on the "just trust me" line, and she hadn't bargained for Corbyn actually looking good. The social care issue is making her look shallow, and her claim that the cap would be fixed AFTER the election looks dubious.

So if she is returned with a majority in the range of 10-15 she will not have achieved her goal and is locked into that situation for 5 years.She then has to lead the Brexit negotiations with the other EU leaders knowing she has weakened her position domestically.

Is that likley to happen though? I suspect Theresa May is heading for comfortable/landslide majority that she clearly doesn't deserve because Labour started so far behind & there's only so much ground you make up in an election campaign. Corbyn has exceeded expectations & Theresa May has been hopeless. That might mean May gets a 100 seat majority instead of a 120 seat majority.

kancutlawns

Post by kancutlawns »

Ralph wrote:
Hillman avenger wrote:She must be wondering what she has done.

So if she is returned with a majority in the range of 10-15 she will not have achieved her goal and is locked into that situation for 5 years.She then has to lead the Brexit negotiations with the other EU leaders knowing she has weakened her position domestically.

Is that likley to happen though? I suspect Theresa May is heading for comfortable/landslide majority that she clearly doesn't deserve because Labour started so far behind & there's only so much ground you make up in an election campaign. Corbyn has exceeded expectations & Theresa May has been hopeless. That might mean May gets a 100 seat majority instead of a 120 seat majority.

That's the thing. Corbyn's been appalling in the time he's been leader of the opposition. All the Conservatives need to do is win the election which they obviously will do and depending on the majority can either a. stick with May to push through more stringent policies or b. get the backbenchers to knife her and get a hard leader who appeals to the more right wing, Brexit fringe of the party.

Corbyn is an ideological leader, nothing he's said to mollify people since last Monday has changed that.

There's no way Labour will suddenly operate a big swing next week. They're in a bloody big hole and a dithering, clinically stupid Theresa May isn't going to change their fortunes.

Sid Pervcat

Post by Sid Pervcat »

Serious Question though Guize...would you bum her??

Hillman avenger

AlcoholBrazil wrote:The election was a breeze in the park for May until she decided to come between a parent and their child's rightful inheritance.

I am fascinated, waiting for your solution to the problem that social care has a massive and expanding funds gap.

Ralph
Forum Admin

Post by Ralph »

Hillman avenger wrote:
AlcoholBrazil wrote:The election was a breeze in the park for May until she decided to come between a parent and their child's rightful inheritance.

I am fascinated, waiting for your solution to the problem that social carehas a massive and expanding funds gap.

I think we're entitled to expect something better thought through & compassionate from politicians than the Dementia Tax. Frightening that the Tories thought it was an acceptable idea. You've pointed out yourself there are better ideas out there which the Tories have ignored.

Hillman avenger

What disgusts me is that pre the 2010 election, Andy Burnham was the Health Secretary and he proposed that there should be a multi-party group to deal with this, based on the Dilnott proposals, but the Tories would not play.
BTW I don't think now the Tory majority will be 3 figures..I would go for 50-60

kancutlawns

Post by kancutlawns »

Hillman avenger wrote:What disgusts me is that pre the 2010 election, Andy Burnham was the Health Secretary and he proposed that there should be a multi-party group to deal with this, based on the Dilnott proposals, but the Tories would not play.

Cant stand the Conservatives but why are you talking about a policy from the election before last? Was there any obligation for cross party agreement? If there was no coalition between Labour and the Tories than what does it matter?

Ralph
Forum Admin

Post by Ralph »

kancutlawns wrote:
Hillman avenger wrote:What disgusts me is that pre the 2010 election, Andy Burnham was the Health Secretary and he proposed that there should be a multi-party group to deal with this, based on the Dilnott proposals, but the Tories would not play.

Cant stand the Conservatives but why are you talking about a policy from the election before last? Was there any obligation for cross party agreement? If there was no coalition between Labour and the Tories than what does it matter?

No obligation but they rubbished a reasonable idea to solve the social care crisis, labelled it a death tax, & then came up with the idea of the 'dementia tax' instead. You've got to wonder what's going on in their heads.

mrGP
VERIFIED USER

Post by mrGP »

Rightful inheritance? What a load of bollocks. I have one parent left, I hope she spends her last £1 on her final day alive. She's earned the right to enjoy her money. And if she goes into a home, the money from the sale of her house will go towards her care. That's what she wants. She wants to take care of herself and rightly so. I'm neither expecting nor hoping for any £ when she passes on. Rightful inheritance my arse.

Monello

Post by Monello »

mrGP wrote:

Rightful inheritance? What a load of bollocks. I have one parent left, I hope she spends her last £1 on her final day alive. She's earned the right to enjoy her money. And if she goes into a home, the money from the sale of her house will go towards her care. That's what she wants. She wants to take care of herself and rightly so. I'm neither expecting nor hoping for any £ when she passes on. Rightful inheritance my arse.

I think you're missing the point fella.

m4 colin

Post by m4 colin »

Monello wrote:
mrGP wrote:

The point is most people dont think that way I personally figger that as I spend about a third of the year working just for the government I should be able to dispose of whatever is bought or saved out of the rest however it pleases me
I heard gods fast but I'd have to go up against him before I believe it

Monello

Post by Monello »

m4 colin wrote:
Monello wrote:
mrGP wrote:

The point is most people dont think that way I personally figger that as I spend about a third of the year working just for the government I should be able to dispose of whatever is bought or saved out of the rest however it pleases me

Yes, the main point is not how much you leave your kids, but the Government thieving your hard earned.